Help; OS wont re-install

Reaction score
I'll try to make this as short as possible and I would appreciate anyone that could help.

I bout a iMac back in 2007-2008 ish, and for the past 2 years or so its been slowing down, getting hot and freezing up so on.

Well a few days ago I decided to back up all of my files to external hard drive and re-format the hard drive.

I had snow leopard installed yesterday , backed up all my files, tried to install Yosemite but it wouldn't get started. So I decided to just go ahead and try to install it after the reformat.

Well today I followed all the directions to re-formatting, erasing the disk and what not and everything was going fine until maybe about 75% where I got an error saying snow leopard can not install, to try again. Well I did that and it was doing fine but then started going into the negatives in estimated time, once it got to -40 minutes I decided to quit it and try all over again;
Now it always gets stuck maybe 35% in and just sits there, everythings still working its not frozen but it just doesn't continue installing. Im at a loss of what to do.

I already decided to order a new imac since it was quite outdated, but I'm hoping I can salvage something of this and maybe sell it for cheap once its working okay? Is there anything I can do ? Has anyone had a problem like this with the OS not wanting to install again?

anyone for a TL;DR
Erased HD, Can't install OS anymore, keeps getting stuck or error.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like a typical failing hard drive symptom. The best you can do now is not mess with it any longer. If you've been making backups you can always get your data by restoring from the backup to your new iMac. Actually, that's the best way to migrate data from an older machine to a new one. If you have not been making backups, you might wind up losing data.

OP
W
Reaction score
It sounds like a typical failing hard drive symptom. The best you can do now is not mess with it any longer. .

Thanks for the quick reply!
So basically I just have a giant brick at this point huh.
Oh well, I was hoping to get it working and sell it but I guess its basically just trash at this point =(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.