Help my G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'99 G4 500mhz 1Gb ram 27Gb Hd
I just bought an older G4 w/500mhz, 1Gb Ram, 27 Gb Hd. I am trying to upload OS 10.47. but all i get is a black screen with alot of stuff on it and in the background it says for me to restart, if i do i get it again. What is wrong with my ****. P.s. the OSX i'm using is from a friends new iMac, so maybe this has something to do with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Well, if your friend has a new iMac, you most certainly cannot use it with the G4. It is also not legal to use someone else installation Disc.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if your friend has a new iMac, you most certainly cannot use it with the G4. It is also not legal to use someone else installation Disc.

I know that, i was just doing it as a free way to make sure the computer could handle the new OS. So do you think thats the reason its messing up? Oh and also i was wondering would i be able to (Legally or not) to use a co py i buy on my old iMac? (another test to find out if that computer can handle it too)

I'm not tryin to break the law here, but i don't wanna buy a new OS that my computers can't handle.

P.S. The Imac is a G3 400mhz, 500mb Ram, 15Gb Hd

M

MacHeadCase

It isn't just the legality of what you are attempting to do. It's also that install disks that come with Macs are model specific.

Plainly put, you cannot use an OS install disk from an Intel-based iMac to install said OS on your iMac G3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
You could simply look up the minimum system requirements for the OS.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It isn't just the legality of what you are attempting to do. It's also that install disks that come with Macs are model specific.

Plainly put, you cannot use an OS install disk from an Intel-based iMac to install said OS on your iMac G3.

Thats the answer i was looking for, THANK YOU!

You could simply look up the minimum system requirements for the OS.
Done that but i like to be doublely sure of things that involve spending my cash.
You guys have been a great help. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I understand about making sure before you spend your money. One of the best if not the best features a Mac has is that Apple makes both the hardware and the software. Meaning that the system reqs as provided by Apple can be regarded as gospel. Also installing a OS without all the facts is not exactly fiscally responsible. You might have checked here before your little misadventure. Hope you haven't bricked your purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.