HELP!!!!My G-4 Screen is hangin on by the wires....literally!!!!

M

msbeth72

I tripped on my powerbook cord the other day causing it to fall flat on it's face....the screen broke off the hinges and it's hangin on by the wires....even after that it still worked until yesterday the screen just faded to white but if you jiggle the wires a certain way the desktop comes back up....obviously I'm in big trouble and need it repaired, has anyone had this happen to them? and if so how much did they pay....I found a couple ideas in the back of MacWorld.....can anyone give any other input....I'm a new Mac User and I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible cause this was soooooo **** expensive and it's not under warranty.....Thank you!!!!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am not sure, the bad parts. But you can check the prices at www.pbparts.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah that wouldnt be under warranty :( My hinge just recently broke since I dropped it also.. and I think it had an internal crack after I dropped it and a couple weeks ago it just finally gave away. You can have your hinges replaced.. usually around $400 for both.. I think. I did my own, but the hinge itself still cost me around $180.

Here are a couple links:

http://www.pbparts.com/store/agora.cgi/^th
http://www.macresq.com/store/detail.php?prodID=P009742
http://powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/cu...&XCARTSESSID=ef9a6a9b00498191c57b6248979d51ba
http://www.powerbookguy.com/titanium.html#serviceparts
http://www.wegenermedia.com/titp.htm

I hope that helps!

The cable will probably be ok once the hinges are fixed.. if not though I would probably send it into Apple.. and yes it'll probably be over $500 Im afraid :( Ill tell you one thing.. I've been a whole lot more careful since I had to replace my hinge :(

OP
M

msbeth72

Thank you so much....how did u know there was an internal crack? and is it that involved to replace the hinges, i mean it looks like the plastic or whatever that the hinges are made of is broke.....i feel like a mother who left their kid in the car to get smokes.....baby dies....i almost wanted to draw a chalk outline around where i dropped my G-4....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah it's a huge mess to replace the hinges.. at least it was for me.. I have a titanium so it's a bit different, but I left my casing a bit bent, and I need to do something a bit more with the hinge, because somehow it's a bit crooked :( it saved me a good amount in dough though.. so it was worth it to me.. plus my powerbook has been all over the world with me so it doesnt look very pretty anymore anyways :) And I completely understand how you feel :(

OP
M

msbeth72

I have a titanium as well....i suppose i could plug a monitor in the back and use it that way but does it have to be a Mac monitor?

OP
M

msbeth72

Murlyn.....did you have to have to have a lot of patience to take everything apart, and do u recommend a novice mac user venture into that realm?

OP
M

msbeth72

Murlyn.....did you have to have to have a lot of patience to take everything apart, and do u recommend a novice mac user venture into that realm?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm.. I guess it depends on how you feel about taking apart your computer... It was difficult and I wouldnt have done it if I would have had the money, but since i didn't I needed to do it myself. I was quite scared since if I had screwed up my screen.. that was over a thousand dollars to fix.. so my $500 repair would have become even more expensive.. It was quite scary to me.. so it's up to you and how comfortable you feel about it.. Yes it takes patience, since trying to break the seal on the monitor takes quite a bit of time.. it's very slow going since it's so delicate...

OP
M

msbeth72

:confused: Hey I hate to keep bugging you but.....I noticed a site online called Power bookmedic and they have everything it seems I may need REALLY cheap have you heard anything about them <good or bad> ....and I'm not sure if the LCD is coming back , yesterday I opened it up and the desktop was gone and in it's place was a grayish green color that spread gradually on the screen,.....could that just be the wires? I've never worked on computers and I'm new to Mac but I'm obsessed...I must find a way to bring her back to life...I was thinking of having crazy fundraising events to raise the money,,,,I never felt this way about a computer before, is normal for new Mac users? Oh and in the case I did have to have it repaired would I be able to remove the hard drive safely or do I have to back everything up? Thanks Murlyn sooo much you've been such a helpful source......

:eek: Sincerely......MacBeth hehehehe I just made that up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope I sure havent heard anything about them :( ugh.. that really sounds like a job for someone else and not yourself.. since your screen is all screwed up.. What I would do is go to the nearest apple store and talk to their people there and see what they think. My LCD was still fine so I did not have the problems that you are having :( And on your other questions.. Im really not sure.. again the best thing would be to go to an Apple Store.. they will be able to help you :) Im glad I could be of some help.. sorry I couldnt be more!

Cheers!

OP
M

msbeth72

Thanks your a dahhhling...I'll do that...Thanks again for all your help and sage-like advice..lol Have a great day!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries :) Once you have done that, if you could post your findings.. we would be much appreciative :)

Cheers!

OP
M

msbeth72

Sure

Murlyn said:
No worries :) Once you have done that, if you could post your findings.. we would be much appreciative :)

Cheers!

;) Sure thing....I'm on my way to the Apple Store....I'll post the outcome

OP
M

msbeth72

I'm &^^*()*$@!# outta luck

msbeth72 said:
;) Sure thing....I'm on my way to the Apple Store....I'll post the outcome

Well, I went to the apple store and he said they would have to charge me a flat out fee of $1300 bucks to ship it off to the repair guys at their "main" facility. It may end up being more or less than that amount but that fee would be charged up front...then he suggested just buying a new one....booo hoooo I want my baby back....Well I may know a couple people who actually work for Apple as it turns out so I may finagle a bit of a deal with them...keeping my fingers crossed....AND NEVER TAKE YOUR APPLE FOR GRANTED......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ouch :( Yeah that must mean your LCD is messed up pretty badly then since a hinge repair doesnt cost that much :(

OP
M

msbeth72

VGA Extension question.....

Hey Murlyn...I meant to ask you....since I'm new to Macs.....can I hook up my G-4 (whats left of it, the screen goes in & out) to my IBM Thinkpad and use that Monitor or do I have to have a plain old Monitor? Do you know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know the answer to this one :( Sorry about that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.