HELP! MacBook Pro Breaking Down

Reaction score
I bought a used 15" pre-unibody MBP back in November 2009, and everything was fine up until this week. Here's the series of events that happened:

1) Trackpad had weird scrolling issue. When I would scroll up and down in any browser (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome), it would zoom in an out. I turned off the option and it still did it.

2) I brought it in to Apple, and they fixed it by re-installing Snow Leopard. But when I got home, my magic mouse wouldn't scroll. I had to download MagicPrefs to fix the issue.

3) Since then, my airport has been having a hard time keeping connected to wi-fi. It drops in and out of it, and the internet stops working sometimes when other people I'm studying still have a strong connection.

4) I also noticed a dead pixel on the bottom of the screen, and now the computer is starting to lag when changing events on iCal. After I change one thing, it'll freeze for about 7 seconds, then make the change.

5) Also, the computer has been running a lot hotter than normal. I would always work with it on my lap, but now it gets hot to the point where I can't do that.

It seems like this is the start of something pretty bad. And all of this happened only within the last 7 days. Anyone experienced this or know what it could be? It's still covered under Apple Care so I'm planning on bringing it in soon but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
There is just way too much going on!
Since you have AppleCare, take it into Apple with that whole list of what's wrong with it, and any repair done has 12month warranty from the time that it is fixed.
Being that there is so much going on, if they cannot sort it out, even if it takes 2 more visits to Apple, they will eventually either change every part in there, or give you a replacement MBP (which is the most likely outcome).
Just don't sit back and let things go.
The sooner you get in there, the better the chance of a good outcome!

OP
R
Reaction score
I was typing an email, and the keyboard / trackpad just stopped working, got stuck on the space button, and kept going. It went on for a while, then stopped and now it's working again. Anyone had this issue before? I plan on bringing it in soon. I have finals coming up so I can't afford to be without my computer until after then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I just responded to your other thread, and seeing as this is what it's related to, I still say you're going to have to take it in.
It appears to me that you may have bought a used Mac that had a spillage on it, and if this is the case (which I hope it's not) then you wouldn't be covered under warranty.
Seeing as you took it to Apple, and all they did was reinstalled the OS, I'm guessing that they didn't have a look inside there, and therefore this is an unknown at this stage.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the quick reply. I'll hope that it lasts until after finals then I'll bring it in to Apple. Is there any way I can see now if there was spillage or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'd have to take it apart, and look for corrosion and/or stickiness, but if there's not, and you leave any sign of dismantling it, you would void your warranty, so I would not recommend it!

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I ran the test and it said there was nothing wrong. Does that mean everything would be a software issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
No the Hardware test does not check everything - i had a logic board replaced after it passed a hardware test.

OP
R
Reaction score
Okay thanks...one thing that is irritating is that the problems come so sporadically that I might bring it in to Apple and nothing would seem wrong. Sometimes it goes crazy for a bit and then goes back to normal. Hopefully they can still fix it though. I'm planning on bringing it in about a month or so from now when finals are done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you are still having random issues with it hanging i would be taking it to another network and preferably connecting by ethernet cable to see if the problems are still there. Sometimes the lagging/freezing can be a function of poor Network or Network Settings and the MBP has to resolve the info before accepting more data.

OP
R
Reaction score
I never thought of that. I'll definitely try it the next time it starts hanging. Thanks man.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.