Help!! Is my iMac's hard drive dying?

J

Just A Muggle

Here is what my system consisits of:
*Original iMac Rev. A Bondi Blue 233mhz CPU
*Hard drive upgrade to a Maxtor 7200rpm 45gig Diamond Max Plus-4years ago
*Memory-Top slot-64mb Bottom slot-128mb Total Memory-192mb.
*Video mem-upgraded to 6mb.

Here is my problem:
When ever I'm online, Typing a word document, you name it, my system keeps freezing, stopping, delaying, for a period of anywhere from 20 to 45 seconds. It will then continue where it left off. If I'm typing a document it will sit there frozen but when it comes around all the words I've typed while its frozen will pop up on the screen and I can continue until it happens again. Same with web pages, game playing, checking e-mail, etc.
What could be wrong. Is the hard drive dying???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
What is your Mac OS? OS X? If so, try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissionsAlso make sure you run cron tasks or use Mac Janitor, Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I had this exact problem when my 3 hard drives died...

OP
J

Just A Muggle

Help!! Is my iMac's hard drive dying?

Matt said:
How long has this been happening

Matt, This problem has been happening for about 3 months. I've tried Norton Utilities & Tech Tool Pro 3, starting both from the disk. Neither has come up with anything but the normal file issues. I've used less than 10 gigs out of the 45gig hard drive. I'm unsure of the next avenue to take. Dave

OP
J

Just A Muggle

Absolute Zero said:
I had this exact problem when my 3 hard drives died...

Hey thanks for the reply. I figured as much. Hey what was the average life span of your 3 deceased hard drives? Is maxtor drives known for pre-mature elapsation? What type of hard drive do you recommed for this old classic iMac? Thanks Just A Muggle

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I'm glad I can help. :)

My first hard drive lasted from when I bought it (August 2003) to about May 2004. My replacement lasted for a few hours... and the last one lasted two weeks. This ones still kicking...

I would not be able to answer the question about iMac hard drives, I own one but I never opened it up. You may want to Google it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.