Help in stalling an external CD burner

Reaction score
The internal CD burner on my desktop Mac OSX 10-7-5 is kaput. I bought a Dynamode external USB CD-ROM so that I could upload music from CDs and download onto blank CDs. The instructions with the Dynamode indicate that it is compatible with OS 10.4 and higher. However, I cannot make head nor tail of the user manual and need someone to take me through the installation procedure in easy stages. Would be grateful for any help. Thank you.

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

1. Plug it in.
2. Use it.

OS X doesn't require a lot of "installation" for things like that. Just plug it in and OS X should find it. It won't show up on the system until you put in a disk, however, so don't expect anything to happen when you first connect it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Had already done as you suggest. When blank CD is introduced yellow light shows on front of Dynamode CD slide and disc noise begins. On attempting music download Mac shows message "Please insert blank disc." No further forward. Help!

M

MacInWin

What software are you using to burn the CD? It may be expecting you to hold off putting the CD in until it tells you to do so.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Had already done as you suggest. When blank CD is introduced yellow light shows on front of Dynamode CD slide and disc noise begins. On attempting music download Mac shows message "Please insert blank disc." No further forward. Help!

The problem here is that your Mac has an internal optical drive and the software used to burn a CD is not going to see the external drive unless you have some way to direct it to it. I remember having difficulty on my older iMac that had an internal drive whenever I used an external drive. The software would always default to the internal drive. That's why you're getting the message "Please insert a blank disc". Make sure you're choosing the external drive from your burner software.

M

MacInWin

Good thinking, chscag! Once we know what app is being used, we can describe how to pick the destination.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What Mac apart from Desktop which does not provide a lot of information. If it is a Mac Pro, or a G5 desktop easy job changing DVD drive, not so easy on an iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.