HELP iBook hard drive email recovery

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and I really need some help.

I used to have an iBook G4 which I purchased in 2005. Last year the logic board failed so that now it won't switch on at all. I don't want to get it fixed because of the cost. However I want to save the contents of the hard drive, and in particular the emails which were stored on MacMail.

I plan to rip out the hard drive (using ifixit.com guides) and retrieve the data.

Would someone be able to help me with the steps following the removal of the hard drive? In particular:

1. what kind of hardware I need to hook up the harddrive to my MacBook Pro (links to this sort of thing would be appreciated)
  2. what kind of software I can run on my MacBook Pro to retrieve the data
  3. how I can retrieve the mail in particular i.e. how I can import the emails into MacMail on my MacBook Pro

Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. what kind of hardware I need to hook up the harddrive to my MacBook Pro (links to this sort of thing would be appreciated)
2. what kind of software I can run on my MacBook Pro to retrieve the data
3. how I can retrieve the mail in particular i.e. how I can import the emails into MacMail on my MacBook Pro

Your iBook used an Ultra ATA HD so you would need either an adapter or external USB carrier. I recommend you buy an adapter as that can be used for other types of drives in addition to yours. LINK

No special software is needed to copy the contents of your old hard drive. Once the drive is hooked to the adapter and then plugged into the USB port on your new Mac, it will mount on the desktop. Drag and drop.

Moving email from one HD to another is something I've never done in OS X. Maybe someone can chime in here and suggest a way to do it without having to save everything in plain text.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.