Help! I think i(Photo) killed all my pictures!

Reaction score
First, I am new to the mac OS and have only had this computer since christmas.

That being said, I used iPhoto to manage all my pictures untill it started to take over 5 minutes just to open/load. I figured I would use a different app so I changed the name of the pictures' containing folder and I uninstalled iPhoto (by moving the app to the trash). Now, the folder is there but with no pictures!

Is there ANYWAY I can get them back? Is this something that mac's do if you uninstall an app?!

All/any help is greatly appreciated!

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, tstack77.

Did you delete the folder named iPhoto Library?

Path is this:

Macintosh HD -> Users -> Your user account -> Pictures -> iPhoto Library

This is assuming you are using iPhoto 6.x. I'm not terribly familiar with iPhoto to be honest but this is the file structure I see on my iMac running Mac OS X 10.4.9 and the iLife'06 suite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
As MacHeadCase said the iPhoto library is not inside iPhoto but inside your pictures folder.
I had unistalled/installed/unistalled iPhoto several times under OSX 10.3 and 10.4 and it always leaves the library untouched.
One thing to have in mind is that the structure iPhoto uses is a little complicated so it may give you the idea that the photos are lost. Also it creates at least one copy of the pictures you have to speed up the preview, this complicates the structure a little bit too and it may give you the idea of having lost the original picture.

Reaction score
If you can remember a name you gave a photo, or even part of a name, run a search for it using Spotlight. It should find it if it's there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
What's a good, free/cheap, alternative to iPhoto?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.