Help! havng major iBook problems

Reaction score
I just bought a 12" G3 600 mhz ibook off of ebay. it boots, but the screen doesn't work with the battery in. when i take out the battery, the screen displays fine. When i went to type in my info for OSX, the keyboard and trackpad both dont respond. the caps lock and num lock lights do come on and off normally.

This is my first mac (some first impression lol) so im not really used to troubleshooting them and dont know what to look for.

does anyone have any ideas?

OP
R
Reaction score
also, i was able to plugin a usb mouse which worked, but i dont have a usb keyboard to test it with

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
ouch...be carful when buying off ebay...im sorry this had to be ur frist impression, it is NOT a common thing for macs to be screwed up!!
well, the cost of repairing the display and buying a keyboard will probly equal about the same that u paid for it...if i were u i would demand my money back from the guy who sold it to u and buy a different one...

OP
R
Reaction score
I think thats what I'll do. There is probably a problem with the motherboard

OP
R
Reaction score
I got my ibook to work normally after jiggling the screen alittle. i suspect that the internal power cord is loose, because of shipping probably, and that caused the weird problems.:black:

OP
R
Reaction score
It was indeed a loose cable. The cable that connects to the sleep mode reed switch was shorted. i just cut the two cables at the logic board connector and the problem was solved. of course i wont be able to automatically go into sleep mode, but i turn that setting off anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD
IMHO, I would just take back the iBook, if it was like that upon delivery then the seller is responsible for taking it back.

OP
R
Reaction score
i almost did, but since it works fine now i dont think its worth the trouble returning it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.