Help! Having doubts about my 12" PB

M

michaeldw13

Hi,
I've been playing around with my 12" PB for just over a week now and am having doubts about the size. I don't think I'm still quite used to the screen size and find myself a bit hunched over sometimes when using it. But, I absolutely love the portability. I've been thinking of returning it for a 15" PB. But everytime I go back to the Mac store to look at the 15" I just can't help thinking that it is big and a bit awkward. It kind of feels like a shield to me and the screen size is more than I need. 14" is about the max I need in a screen. This is a laptop I will have to take everyday to/fro school to use the wireless web; most likely on a bike. Since I am studying in Europe I plan to do a fair amount of travelling. But, this will also be my only computer. I don't have a desk top. And I anticipate having to do a lot of reading/web research on it. So, are my fears unfounded? Are there people out there who have gotten used to the 12" as their only computer? Also, how much additional RAM should I put in it?

Thanks.
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
michaeldw13 said:
14" is about the max I need in a screen. This is a laptop I will have to take everyday to/fro school to use the wireless web; most likely on a bike. Since I am studying in Europe I plan to do a fair amount of travelling. But, this will also be my only computer. I don't have a desk top. And I anticipate having to do a lot of reading/web research on it.

Have you considered the iBook at all? Seems like it would be a good compromise in terms of size, without giving up a terrible amount of power or performance. I used my 14" iBook as my main computer for quite a while (and basically still do), and I find the size to be ideal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
And here I am thinking how glad I am I didn't get the 15" pb because my 17" is soooooo nice. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
i really cant answer your question about the screen size based on anything other than using a 12" ibook for about 4 hours. I adjusted really well to the 12" iBook, but that was before I got my 23" Cinema Display..and let me tell you...Now, I really have trouble using a reg. 4:3 ratio screen...It just feels to squished...

Now, to answer your question about the ram. I reccommend no less than 512 MB of Ram..

OP
C

Cloudane

It's all personal preference. I've had no problems adjusting to the 12" whatsoever - I fell in love with it straight away.

Don't forget the Powerbooks have a mini-DVI output and an adapater to take them to a regular SVGA monitor, so for home use you could always get a larger display and plug it into that. What's more, with a Powerbook, you can span the displays to get even more room.

OP
J

Joeytpg

michaeldw13 said:
Hi,
I've been playing around with my 12" PB for just over a week now and am having doubts about the size. I don't think I'm still quite used to the screen size and find myself a bit hunched over sometimes when using it. But, I absolutely love the portability. I've been thinking of returning it for a 15" PB. But everytime I go back to the Mac store to look at the 15" I just can't help thinking that it is big and a bit awkward. It kind of feels like a shield to me and the screen size is more than I need. 14" is about the max I need in a screen. This is a laptop I will have to take everyday to/fro school to use the wireless web; most likely on a bike. Since I am studying in Europe I plan to do a fair amount of travelling. But, this will also be my only computer. I don't have a desk top. And I anticipate having to do a lot of reading/web research on it. So, are my fears unfounded? Are there people out there who have gotten used to the 12" as their only computer? Also, how much additional RAM should I put in it?

Thanks.
Mike

hey mike, where in europe are you?......i'll be going to spain in two month and i'll be doing a lot of traveling too.........and this powerbook (1 month old) is going to be my ONLY computer too.....and i really don't have money to invest it on a display ( i need other things first)

so after thinking about it for a while......i'm VERY VERY happy i got the 15"...you know why?.....'cause of screen real state and it isn't actually a HEAVY or LARGE computer to carry...........i can tell you....because i unplug it EVERY DAY to take it to work and it's amazing.....it's TOTALLY portable!

i even wated the 17" because of screen size and since a GOOD/confortable backpack can solve the "portability" issue then why not have both worlds? (AWASOME SCREEN SIZE + PORTABILITY!) but i didn't have enough money......so the 15" was the choice and believe me i don't look back! it's great!...jesus even after a while you even have the feeling like the 15" is too cramped! :p eheheh.......

dude go and change it and get the 15" you won't regret it!....even if you're going to a lot! :D just make sure you get a confortable backpack to ease the weight on your shoulders!

OP
T

TylerMoney

Hey man

I've definently gotten used to my 12" pb. I have a desktop pc w/ a 15" monitor, but I hardly ever use it...and on top of that, I don't use it for my school work. It's a bit small I guess, but it works. If you can, max out the ram. I have 768mb right now, and it's great, but as soon as the prices come down on the 1gig sticks, I'll be getting one. 768-1.25...it's going to be awesome!

OP
T

tariq

Stick with your 12" PowerBook, I think you'll find the 15" a little too big and less portable for everyday use. That said, try out Desktop Manager (http://wsmanager.sourceforge.net/) and you can have multiple virtual desktops. Don't worry about the alpha quality, it works great and the transitions (especially cube) are beautiful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.