HELP fake website

Reaction score
How do I get away from a fake website? I have tried everything I can think of and I just get sent there, every time. How do I remove it? FYI, it's Walmart.

Reaction score
How do I get away from a fake website? I have tried everything I can think of and I just get sent there, every time. How do I remove it? FYI, it's Walmart.

It depends on which browser you are using. Many browsers can be set to reload the previously displayed Web pages when they next launch, which could put you right back where you started. To prevent this in Safari, press the Shift key before clicking the Safari icon in the Dock or double-clicking the Safari icon in the Applications folder. In Firefox, hold down the Option key to launch it in Safe Mode, and then click Refresh Firefox in the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. In Chrome click the hamburger button to the right of the address field, choose Settings, and in the On Startup section of the Settings page, select “Open the New Tab page.”

If the above doesn't work, you may have a browser extension that is sending you back to the page you wish to avoid.

In Safari:
Safari menu --> Preferences --> Extensions
and disable any extensions you don't recognize.

In Firefox:
Tools menu --> add-ons --> Plug-ins
and disable any extensions you don't recognize.

It might also help to run this anti-adware program:

Malwarebytes (free)
https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

OP
M
Reaction score
fake website from macular

thanks for the help, randy, but to no avail I'm using safari on Sierra and what happens is that I keep getting sent to a page that has a fraudulent user of the certificate. Every time I attempt to to a different walmart site I get sent there. No matter what address I type into google (and the xmas walmart address is quite long and complex) I am automatically sent to the bad page. Any ideas? Thanks for replying.

Reaction score
thanks for the help, randy, but to no avail

So, I'm assuming that you tried all three things that I suggested, correct? And you disabled all of the extensions that you found in Safari and that didn't help? Because those are really the only ways that your browser can be hijacked by something resident on your computer.

My only other thought is that you might have encountered a DNS changer bit of malware. Check and see if you need to restore your proper DNS server setting in:
System Preferences --> Network --> Advanced --> DNS tab
If you don't know what your DNS setting should be, set it to: 8.8.8.8

If you don't have a malicious extension, and your DNS setting hasn't been changed to something malicious, then the only other thing that would cause a re-direct is visiting a Web site that is causing the re-direct. You can try temporarily disabling JavaScript (NOT Java, which is something else) in Safari and seeing if that stops the problem. If it does, the problem is a malicious ad on a site that you visit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Clear cookies and cache?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.