Help deleting user acc/format to new again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on selling my current iMac after I get my new one. It 'came' with Leopard but has been upgraded to Snow Leopard when HD was replaced by Apple store here. I was given no Snow Leopard installation CDs.

My thoughts when selling this iMac, I was going to just re-set it so it was like new again and would have Leopard OS X (I guess I have the OS X cds that came with the mac somewhere if needed). I was wanting my user account gone, everything gone including apps I installed. That there is nothing of mine on it.

BUT I was told it would sell better with Snow Leopard on it but I don't have the installation cds. I have someone who will buy it but we have to make a deal on the price once they have a look at it. So my question is can I do the above, delete my user account, apps and everything else off it knowing the buyer has it as it was new but with SL on it rather than Leopard??

If yes, how? I need simple steps please

Note - Will my apple ID and PW be affected by deleting user account on my old Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Simple and easy answer: Buy the Snow Leopard DVD from Apple. It's $19.95 US (convert
that to NZ $). Apple sells Snow Leopard from their on line store. When you receive the DVD, you can erase the hard drive and install Snow Leopard fresh and also have the DVD to give along with the Mac for sale.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you can sell it for more with Snow Leopard that's an easy fix. If you don't have the Leopard Dvd's it's also cheaper to get a Snow Leopard disc from Apple than a Leopard disc from EBay.

1. Purchase Snow Leopard disc from Apple's online store.
2. Backup your Mac.
3. Reboot from Snow Leopard DVD, erase the drive, and install Snow Leopard.

Last edited:
OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I have no spare cash to buy OS X, I need to do it Free LOL

I have another buyer, just need to get confirmation and if he wants it, he will do it all for me, I just need to delte my user account, but how? and all my other personal stuff

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Snow Leopard Disc is $20,00 from the Apple site at the moment. The only other option is to create a second user account with Administrator rights and delete your existing account. After backing up anything important of course.

The problem is that the apps you've installed will remain on the drive unless you manually remove them. That probably violates the user agreement of several apps and could pose a problem for the new user if they try to update the software.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
…I was going to just re-set it so it was like new again and would have Leopard OS X (I guess I have the OS X cds that came with the mac somewhere if needed).

If you want to remove all user account info from this computer…and you don't have the cash to purchase a Snow Leopard install DVD. Then you're going to have to use your Leopard disks to do this…and sell it with Leopard installed.

Then the buyer will have to upgrade the OS to whatever version they prefer.:)

- Nick

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, I will do that :)

Yep if he buys it he said he can install all OSX to the one he needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.