help and suggestions?

Reaction score
what would be better?

i recently bought a new black macbook, 250gb 2gb ram etc. i am finding it bogs down a lot and even crashes when running programs like chronosync (i am very anal about backing up and syncing and since i yuse a windows pc at work this kills me). and lightroom and iphoto etc. would i be better upgrading to a macbook pro (200gb 2gb ram but video card) or simply upping my macbook to 4gb ram? any other suggestions? on a side note how do i find out what apps are currently runnin in the background, i think (comeing from a windows pc) that if i have a lot of hidden running apps ill be using more system resou8rces and therefore bogging it down no?

pps any recommendations for an app that syncs files and folders (say between my mac and my flash drive and will even keep u[p with deleted files and keep everything in sync)? i paid for chrono sync but am not crazy about it. THANKS and please be nice i am new to mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
i recently bought a new black macbook, 250gb 2gb ram etc. i am finding it bogs down a lot and even crashes when running programs like chronosync (i am very anal about backing up and syncing and since i yuse a windows pc at work this kills me). and lightroom and iphoto etc. would i be better upgrading to a macbook pro (200gb 2gb ram but video card) or simply upping my macbook to 4gb ram? any other suggestions? on a side note how do i find out what apps are currently runnin in the background, i think (comeing from a windows pc) that if i have a lot of hidden running apps ill be using more system resou8rces and therefore bogging it down no?

pps any recommendations for an app that syncs files and folders (say between my mac and my flash drive and will even keep u[p with deleted files and keep everything in sync)? i paid for chrono sync but am not crazy about it. THANKS and please be nice i am new to mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
I am new, too, and can't answer any of your questions except the one about what is running. There is a utility called Activity Monitor (mine is in the Utilities Folder in my Applications Folder). It shows all processes running etcetera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
mrfizzed,

You can check your running resources by using the Activity Monitor (Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor.app). There are several levels to check - the User tab at the top will give you CPU and memory use, etc. for your apps and utilities. Open it and explore, maybe that's what you're looking for.

You can also open System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items to see what opens when you boot.

Hope this is what you're looking for...

Noel

Reaction score
A really quick way to tell which programs are running is look down on the dock. There will be a faint blue light under any app this is currently running. It's always a good idea to Quit programs your not using too, but you know that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.