Hello hello and Questions Questions!

N

nerrollus

Greetings Macians!

I've been an avid PC user for about 11 years now. Recently I started getting more into the Linux game and wanting to try other systems out. I've been thinking about getting a Mac off and on for years, but I've never done a lot of research into them.

Basically what I'm wanting to know is what a good intro system would be that doesn't carry a hefty price tag. With PC's you can get a half way decent system for a few hundred bucks and I'm hoping I can do the same with a Mac. I've heard Mac's run at like 2x or 3x faster than PC's, so is a 500mhz Mac going to be fairly decent?

Looking at playing with OS/X and Gentoo as the OS. Probably mostly as a toy and not a lot of gaming. Would like to have some upgradeability and room for additions.

At any rate, some recommendations, a little basic explanation on the Mac vs PC in the speed area, and what I can expect cost wise to get a decent system. I've got a 19" monitor and a KBM switch. Will I need a new monitor, or will it be compatable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I would say get an eMac... they are really cool, and a good price. Go check out an Apple store, or a CompUSA.

OP
H

hill.ed

you wouldnt even get a iPod for a few hundred bucks, but the best system for you is properlly the eMac or a iBook if u want a laptop. an investment into a Mac is worth it, just save your money and get something good, or if u want a different system just use Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, if you're looking into a laptop, the iBook rocks! That's what I just got in February when I switched and I am not at all disappointed. Don't let the "G3" name fool you, it really is a great chip. You can't go wrong.

For desktops, yes, the best value right now is the eMac as pointed out by the others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah emac would be the best mac/$ ratio... **** ide buy one if i had the $

OP
M

mimmyhonker

Disagree

I would respectfully disagree that you can get a decent PC for a few hundred bucks. $900 will get you an older, bare bones PC. The overall cost of ownership is lower for Mac, as is the price for Macs versus PCs that are actually configured like Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
And for the speed issue with mac and pc.. macs use sweet design to optimize speed and minimize collisions and hang-ups.. There are random threads around here explaining more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.