Hello apple folks!

Reaction score
Does anybody know if this model number os x 10.4 tiger m9639za is specifically for vector processors? Please and thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm a little confused by the question.

Can you tell us exactly which Mac you're using and what you're trying to do?

OP
M
Reaction score
I have a iMac g4 with a vector processor. I need to buy an OS X tiger 10.4. Some models have vector processors and some have intel processors. From what I’ve read I have to get a specific OS for mine with the vector processor.

OP
M
Reaction score
I got till tomorrow night to bid on one but I don’t know if it’s the right and neither does the seller

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I think I see where you're going now. The problem is not really a vector graphics issue as much as a processor issue. Here's what you need to know. When that version of the OS was released Macs produced to that point used PowerPC processors as yours does. Part way through the run of that OS Apple changed the processors in its Mac systems to intel processors. You need to find a version of Tiger that runs on PowerPC based Macs. The 10.4 discs for Intel based Macs will not work on your system.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was trying to find good images of the relevant discs but I didn't see a great example of the fine print. I had to do some digging because its bee a while since I ran that OS.

1. Look at the fine print on the disc. If it says PowerPC that's the first hurdle. Do not get an Intel disc.
2. Gray discs are model-specific. Since you have an iMac make sure that any gray disc you purchase not only says PowerPC but also says iMac,
3. Retail versions of this disc are not gray (black I think). If you see one of these all you have to check is to make sure you get a disc for the PowerPC. I don't think there was a universal version that worked on both platforms.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.