Hello All: I have a small dilemma

U

Uni

G'day... I'm new 2 this forum (as u may have already gathered). I have been on a number of forums prior to this, and just bought a brand new iBook G4 933mHz with the upgraded memory and airport. I am definatley converted to mac... OS X pantha is awesome.

has ne1 had any problems with the wireless network occaisonally drop out or lose some of the computers on the network? Are there any solutions to this, or is it being caused by something other than my mac?

Cheers
Uni/.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have never experienced that issue, but it may depend on what router you are using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Uni said:
G'day... I'm new 2 this forum (as u may have already gathered). I have been on a number of forums prior to this, and just bought a brand new iBook G4 933mHz with the upgraded memory and airport. I am definatley converted to mac... OS X pantha is awesome.

has ne1 had any problems with the wireless network occaisonally drop out or lose some of the computers on the network? Are there any solutions to this, or is it being caused by something other than my mac?

Cheers
Uni/.

What version of Airport software are you currently running? Hold down the option key and click on the Airport icon in your Menu bar, then select "About Airport..."

OP
U

Uni

thanx for the responses, i just found out its not my airport. The building im in is a radio bunker (constructed mainly out of reinforced concrete and I beams) so things like this are normal and has nothing to do with software.

Cheers
Uni/.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Uni said:
thanx for the responses, i just found out its not my airport. The building im in is a radio bunker (constructed mainly out of reinforced concrete and I beams) so things like this are normal and has nothing to do with software.

Cheers
Uni/.

Still, are you certain it isn't at least partially due to the Airport software? One of the recent versions caused substantial problems with many people's Airport operation. It's at least worth checking. What version is currently installed on your machine, and how far away is the base station from your computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Padawan is right, recent airport software had caused some hiccups. Might be worth checking out. good luck.

OP
T

TylerMoney

3..4 will cause even more problems on top of what you're experiencing..make sure you either have airport 3.3.1 or 3.4.1

they both work much much better.

OP
U

Uni

TylerMoney said:
3..4 will cause even more problems on top of what you're experiencing..make sure you either have airport 3.3.1 or 3.4.1

they both work much much better.

Yeah, thanx for your advice. I just installed 3.4.1 and problem solved. Cheers

Uni/.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I just had my first strange thing happen with 3.4.1, I shutdown last night, and the computer didn't fully shutdown, so I had to reboot and once I logged in, I got an aiport check that asked me if I wanted to join the local network.. ok strange.. so I said yes, and then after that, no matter what I did, it wouldnt connect, so I rebooted and now it's back to normal again. Hopefully that does not become a trend.

OP
W

wjones3

Good day,

I too had the same problem when I enabled WEP encryption. It could be the overhead of the WEP. So I turned it off and decided to incorporate MAC filtering only allowing those machines I wanted to access the internet.

In order to do this, you must be able to make the necessary changes by enabling the settings to the router via your default browser. Depending on the IP address that is assigned to the device, you can type in the address: http"// the IP address then hit enter. This in turn would open a login dialogue box for access.

Sign in using the administrator's account, provided by your router's manufacturer and check the various WAN, Wireless settings. Somewhere there should be a setting to "disable" WEP and incorporate MAC filtering. Once you are able to access the router, change the password to something you and you alone can remember. Do this if the router is yours, of course.

I hope this helps. Remember, this was my experience and depending upon your setup yours could be different.

Uni said:

Cheers
Uni/.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.