Health Warning

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm guessing we have some home DIY folks out there...and if so...you're familiar with all of safety labels on ladders (warnings & cautions). Obviously for legal reasons on the manufacturers part...due to the many lawsuits owners of these ladders file after having an injury/accident (in many cases probably due to misuse by the owner & not a fault of the ladder itself)!:( But that's another story.;)

So I was moving around some computer equipment...and I came across an older Microsoft brand wired keyboard. And curiously it had a "HEALTH WARNING" label attached to the cord and to the back of the keyboard. I have (and have had) many different brand keyboards over the "computing years"...and never before saw one of these labels on any other keyboard.

Geez...seems a bit over the top. Darn lawyers!!!;)

health2_header.jpg

health1_medium.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Almost as good as a packet of crumbed fish fillets I purchased at Woolworths. The bottom panel read "WARNING - may contain traces of fish'. Was certainly hoping for more than 'traces'!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Can we say "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome"??? So I guess over the years now they have quit with the tags and information? Probably because carpal tunnel or one of the other issues listed has become a reality for us older geeks. I know it is true for me. I have had to teach both hands to use a mouse because if I am doing a lot of photo correcting/resizing/cropping or video creating my hand will stiffen up and pain will shoot up my arm.

I wear night braces on my wrists, go every Friday to my massage therapist and do the exercises my chiropractor gave me to help stave off surgery.

This is the reality of our immersion in technology and the keyboard/mouse input. I don't think touch screens will make anything better. Then our shoulders will develop issues! Voice input that was really accurate would be nice.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Almost as good as a packet of crumbed fish fillets I purchased at Woolworths. The bottom panel read "WARNING - may contain traces of fish'. Was certainly hoping for more than 'traces'!

Seriously Harry! You WANTED fish in the fish fillets???? Some people want it all...sigh ;)

Lisa

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can we say "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome"???

Oh no doubt. I don't think that I've worked in one office environment where someone didn't have CTS. I'm surprised I don't have it...or that more folks don't have it...given the amount of time many of us use computer keyboards & input devices.

I think what I found surprising is/was how Microsoft did this Health Warning labeling...and no one else jumped on the bandwagon (as far as I know) . This is an older keyboard...so I'm not sure if Microsoft (or anyone else) is doing/or still doing this.

- Nick

p.s. I don't have CTS...but I do have CRS!;)

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I hear you Harry. Why in the world would I want fish in my fish!!!;)lol

- Nick

Reaction score
Next thing you know he'll be wanting chips in his bag of air...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Wow. Not only did the keyboard have such an elaborate warning labels, the appropriate software was also installed and/or made accessible.

But no mention of any choking hazard with the cords. ;)

C

chas_m

I am grateful that I seem to be immune from the effects. I write a LOT (for a living, plus check my post count here to the left!) and have never suffered any of the symptoms. I do have several friends who are more sensitive and have had to either engage in special practices or cut down on the amount of long-term typing they do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am grateful that I seem to be immune from the effects. I write a LOT (for a living, plus check my post count here to the left!) and have never suffered any of the symptoms. I do have several friends who are more sensitive and have had to either engage in special practices or cut down on the amount of long-term typing they do.

Gosh Chas, and here I was under the impression that you did most of your writing using dictation software. ;)

But yes, I know some people with various and very painful afflictions from mousing etc. that makes their computing experience a rather painful affair. Thank gosh I haven't been so unlucky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Harry - LOL! :) BTW, what was the main ingredient - tofu? Dave ;)

ADDENDUM: OH MY, tofu fish sticks do exist and don't look too bad! Recipe HERE, for those interested!

faux-fish-sticks.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No thanks Dave will take the 'traces'. And like everything else the fish was caught locally, whiting, sent to China for 'processing', and then imported!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Harry - LOL! :) BTW, what was the main ingredient - tofu? Dave ;)

ADDENDUM: OH MY, tofu fish sticks do exist and don't look too bad! Recipe HERE, for those interested.

We buy a lot of Tofu from some of the local Korean supermarkets in Dallas. Goes great with a lot of things and is actually a healthy food.

Another subject.... Looks like your relatives out in Montauk Point are going to get hit with a classic blizzard tonight and tomorrow. Not a good place to get snowed in especially with the Long Island Expressway getting shut down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
We buy a lot of Tofu from some of the local Korean supermarkets in Dallas. Goes great with a lot of things and is actually a healthy food.

Hi Chscag - actually my wife loves tofu and has a number of rotating stirred fried dishes - she usually puts in a little shrimp for me - we enjoy and it is quite healthy! Actually, those 'phony' fish sticks looked tasty - might send her that recipe! :)

Another subject.... Looks like your relatives out in Montauk Point are going to get hit with a classic blizzard tonight and tomorrow. Not a good place to get snowed in especially with the Long Island Expressway getting shut down.

Thanks for remembering my Montauk relatives (mother & brother in-laws) - Susan has been video chatting w/ her brother - they seem quite prepared to stay inside for a few days - weather prediction below - a LOT of potential snow for the tip of LI, usually that surrounding water is protective from what occurs more inland, but we'll keep in touch. Thanks again - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 10.31.35 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.