Headless Mini

Reaction score
I use a headless mac mini to play music. I have used the inbuilt screen sharing facility on a Mac laptop running Mavericks. It seems to work fairly well over my Wi-Fi however I want the money to sleep when I'm not using it and I cannot seem to put it to sleep from the laptop. Whenever I use the sleep command from the laptop nothing happens apart from the representation of the mini screen on the laptop goes black.

I can shut the mini down from the laptop with a problem but I don't really want to do this every time. Given this, I suspect the problem is that the control from my laptop interferes with the sleep command and stimulates the mini to stay awake.

Is there a solution to my problem? I would be happy to use an alternative means of controlling the mini if anyone can suggest one.

I'd also like to be able to control the money from my iPad but I assume this is not possible other than keeping the money running all times and using remote to control iTunes.

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 in iMac late 2013. i5 4570/ 8GB/ 1 TB
I use a headless mac mini to play music. I have used the inbuilt screen sharing facility on a Mac laptop running Mavericks. It seems to work fairly well over my Wi-Fi however I want the money to sleep when I'm not using it and I cannot seem to put it to sleep from the laptop. Whenever I use the sleep command from the laptop nothing happens apart from the representation of the mini screen on the laptop goes black.

I can shut the mini down from the laptop with a problem but I don't really want to do this every time. Given this, I suspect the problem is that the control from my laptop interferes with the sleep command and stimulates the mini to stay awake.

Is there a solution to my problem? I would be happy to use an alternative means of controlling the mini if anyone can suggest one.

I'd also like to be able to control the money from my iPad but I assume this is not possible other than keeping the money running all times and using remote to control iTunes.

Thanks for your help

You could have the Mac sleep when it becomes inactive for a certain amount of time and then have it wake from LAN:

How to Remotely Wake a Mac from Sleep with Wake On LAN from iPhone | OSXDaily

Maybe something like that would work?

As another solution, you could use Cron. I am a Linux refugee so I bring some knowledge from Linux and since Mac is BSD at the core, some command like:

shutdown -h now

may work (I say may) and you could have that run at a given time:

http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_creating_cron_jobs

My limited Apple knowledge, hope it helps.

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks, Corbintech, sleep with wake on LAN looks like the answer for me. I'm not very techie so will leave the other option alone.

Thanks for your help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.