HDD Noise Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15' 2.33Ghz C2D MBP, 3GB RAM, 200GB HDD
I just got a new MBP C2D yesterday. I'm also curious about Harddrive noise.. my harddrive seems to be making a lot of noise... it frequently stops with a "CLICK" and lags the computer a bit when accessing (even typing this post). Is this a problem? Should it be doing that? The noise just sticks out. This is my first Mac, but not my first laptop... I don't remember the HDD being so noticeable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Clicking = Bad

Reaction score
Take it to an apple store. Whatever you do, make sure you have any information backed up.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's a normal amount of noise this HDD is suppose to make? It just seems loud to me. I don't have an ear for normal spinning and whatnot. The only HDD that has ever died on me was an external... and it had a bad whining noise. This is nothing like that. Just when the head stops... which is frequently, it makes a click louder than regular access noise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
As stated above, "click-bad." You may hear the occasional head/arm movement, but a metallic-sounding click, especially when accompanied by a lag in performance, is the top of a slippery slope.

Have it checked out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I will add to the chorus. I have been using computers (DOS, Windows, Linux, Macs) for over 25 years. EVERY time I have heard a hard disk make the kind of noise you are describing, it is about to fail. Back up your stuff RIGHT AWAY, and get the machine in for repair.

Continuing to work on such a machine is inviting a failure at the worst possible moment... when you absolutely just have to have something finished for a deadline, that is when the disk will die. Murphy's law!

M

MacHeadCase

Entirely agree. Send it in immediately. If you bought it brand new from Apple it could be considered as DOA (dead on arrival) and if you insist enough (in case they seem to balk) they should replace it with a new unit...

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Protection/Safeguards

I had it checked out by Apple... everything is green now. Thanks

Reaction score
Yup I just found out the hard way that a "click" = drive going bad.

I was working on my PC last week and heard it do a loud series of metalic clicks then whirs then stopped and everything was fine. Next day it wouldn't boot as the primary drive was dead. Took the drive out and powered it through an external IDE to USB adapter and it worked yet it was making weird noises like bad bearings or something while I transfered the data off it. The drive was only 2 years old yet out of warranty :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.