hd is dead?

ash

Reaction score
hi guys,

i've had my ibook for about 2 years now and the other day i had problems logging in, after i entered my password it just scrolled for ages, and the laptop was making odd noises. Anyways, now when i turn on the ibook it goes automatically into single user mode, ive entered a number of commands and nothing is working, ive tryed rebooting it, putting in the osx instllation disc and holding c but thats noy working, also tried a few unix codes.

after searching the forums ive come to the conclsuion that the hard drive is dead? is there any way i can get it to work again? i dont care about wiping the disk, thats fine, i just want it 2 work again, are there any unix codes to wipe the disk? i cant get out of single user mode.....

thanks alot for your assistance guys and i would really appreciate help on this matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Resetting the PRAM should get rid of the lined code. Hold the 'Command' 'Option' 'P' 'R' down apon starting up then it should restart with a chime and no lined code. After that, I would try to reformat/reinstall and go from there.

OP
A

ash

Reaction score
thanks alot for your replies.

i've tryed what spindleX suggested and so far, its working, its allowed me to re-install.

i'll keep you guys posted, many thanks.

OP
A

ash

Reaction score
ok, so i tried re-installing and after about half an hour during install it says there is an error and install cant b done. I really dont know whats up, ive become a bit disheartened with the whole situation thats why ive left it a bit, but im hoping somneone can help.

thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.