HD install question. Its a good 'n!!!

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Ok im back with yet more questions. Trying to re-install OS but i have a question. Its says i have 55.8 MB free on my hard drive but what i need to install will be 55.9. It will let me install it as there is no exclaimation mark to say i cant (which has appeared in the past) but heres the thing. I erased everything from my hard drive in desk utlities. Yet i just have enough to space to reinstall only OS???

Helpppp!

By the way, this is all STILL happening as my computer freezes while i do it. I only have a window of about 3-4 minutes before it freezes and it works on what can only be described as a time delay! So by about 4-5 attempts the whole computer freezes and just wont turn on at all. I need to wait about 12 hours before i can have a fresh run at it again.

Would really appreciate your help/suggestions/feedback on this thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to verify your HD before doing anything else. Use your installation disk to boot the machine and run verify directly from there. Clear all disk errors by running verify over and over until they're all gone.

BTW, do you mean you have 55.8 GB free not MB? I doubt seriously you can install the OS into that little space. :D

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Sorry i meant GB lol i laughed alot when i red that over again!

Ok.Thankyou for that! Ran the verify and everything was fine. Went to install the disc and no problem up until 21%. MY MAC HAS FROOZEN.

It just cant operate without freezing on me. Any ideas what i can do now???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop your Panther DVD in and reboot holding down 'C' and go to Utilities>Disk Utility and run Repair Disk from there and see if all is well. If no problems erase the HDD and format Mac Extended (Journalled) and try to do a clean install.

I take it the Panther discs are a retail version and not from some other model Mac? If that is the case and they are from another Mac it will not install as they are model specific only.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes all discs are the discs that came with the purchase of my mac.

I have ran repair disk and all is well. I will try and format Mac Extended (Journalled) as you have said but will have to do this tomorrow. Due to the simple reason that my computer has froozen and i will have to turn it off and leave it over night to get afew vital minutes back to give it another shot.

Ill post on this tomorrow with an update....

OP
H
Reaction score
ok guys heres an update.

Just went to reinstall in there and it has froozen on 44%. Im seriously beaten on this one. I just cant get do anything on my machine for too long before it freezes.

Any suggestions?

OP
H
Reaction score
Ok update. Tried again and got to 100% on the install. It was now 'preparing off disc one' and got to literally about 2% in the bar under 'PERPARING EPSON PRINTER DRIVERS 1' then frooze.................................

arghhhh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Repair Disk reported all well and good Brian?

Perhaps the next step is the optical and hard drive. As you have the system discs Apple Hardware Test will be there somewhere so give it a run and see what is reported. Also it checks RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.