Having to Shutdown

Reaction score
Hey... I got that gray window that says you have to shtudown your computer in like 5 diffrent languages..

I've heard about this before, but why does it happen?? Is there a way to prevent it???

Shaun.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It is a kernal panic

I have never had one but you don't want them. It rarely happens but if it happens multiple times try to remember what you are doing and see if there is a common theme to them happening. If there is no pattern to them happening there could be a problem with your logic board

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions If it happens again, Restart in single user terminal (restart and hold Apple S) and there type /sbin/fsck -fy and repeat until the ***file system changed** message stops

Reaction score
Dont worry, it's nothing evil. fsck = file system check.
Open a terminal and type man fsck for more info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
it could also be a corrupt os, Id look at that before going straight to a logic board problem.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Ii sounds like your OS is corrupted to me also.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
ok im going to try that now.. and how can an os become corrupt?

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Ok, just did that command in terminal while starting up with apple+s. It says the volume iMac G5 is OK. (My HDD name is iMac g5). I DIDNT get anything that said

****file system changed****

Also, does a kernal panic HAVE to be a logic board if its not a corrupt OS?? Or can they happen randomly like windows crashes (but ALOT less frequent). I dont know if this helps, but i renamed my home folder to my name (that isnt my username in OS X) and it stored all my things in ym home folder, in another spot next time i logged in. Could that have coruppt the OS???

EDIT - Would a re-install of OS X fix the corrupt??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ok, you should never rename your home folder, change it back to its EXACT originall name.
an erase and install is the only fix for a corrupt os.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
it renamed itsself and erased all my data and jsut put the renamed home folder soemwhere else after i logged out and in. Its back to normal now.. you think my OS is currupt? should i install OS X again?

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
ok i just formatted, and everything is fine. it did fix one thiing, and that is unessecary authentications. no kernal panics or anything...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Glad to hear. Just to be safe you may wanna run repair permissions again, it never can hurt KP's are not necessarily a logic board issue if hardware is the cause, it can be RAM too

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
ok thanks... i tried to give u a reputation thing but it says i have to spread some more before i can give u any... i never gave u any before though.... so thanks..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.