Having Problems with Contacts Phone Numbers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
When I enter a new phone number into my Contacts listing, the program puts () around the area code but no preceding "1", i.e., (123) 456-7899. Then when I try to send a message to a listed phone number, I get the error message telling me to enter a valid 10digit mobile number. Furthermore, it looks like my iPhone is putting a "1" in front of the number.........thus 11 digits. The phone numbers listed in my Contacts list have no"1" in front of them.

What am I doing wrong? I've only had the iPhone for a couple of weeks. Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You shouldn't be getting an error. My iMac contacts list and the contacts list on my iPhone and my wife's do not have a "1" in addition to the area code. And when I dial a number, as far as I know, my phone does not insert a "1" before the area code. I'm not sure why you're getting that error? It may be something to do with your carrier but that would be unusual. My carrier is T-Mobile.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was thinking about this earlier when I read this thread. Charlie might be onto something with the carrier being an issue. Until recently we were on AT&T and I would get a warning from time to either enter a 1 if it was long distance or in some cases the area code. Don't think I've gotten that since moving to Verizon.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
Thanks to you both for the response.

AT&T is my carrier. But as it turns out, the error was my doing. Without thinking, I was trying to send a message to my son's HOME phone rather than his cell phone. Once I caught the error of my ways, I was able to send a message.

Before I got my iPhone a couple of weeks ago, I had never sent a message in my life, so that part of my iPhone is new to me. And it's all a learning process........

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before I got my iPhone a couple of weeks ago, I had never sent a message in my life, so that part of my iPhone is new to me. And it's all a learning process........

New fangled gadgets! What's an Aggie supposed to do? LOL! ;P

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Touche. Sometimes it's the simple things in life I don't understand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.