Have Downloaded a Virus???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
I downloaded some software from the internets earlier tonight and almost immediately realized it was a duplicate/phony of the software I was looking for.

So, this is what is happening now: I go to a link I want but I'm directed to different ad sites. I can dismiss them by clicking on the X in the address bar or by clicking the X in that window. There are other interferences as well, such as not being able to click on certain links in, for example, Facebook.

I've run the Virus scan that came with my MBPro but to no avail.

If someone could help me out of this serious computer crisis I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you -

Rich

M

MacInWin

1. Not a virus, adware.
2. AdBlock, adware Medic, Ghostery. Search for them
3. What antivirus came with your MBP? Apple doesn't provide any and none is needed.

P.S., stay away from software you don't know about. Stick to the Apple Store and trusted sources.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What virus scan was it? Is this a used computer. I only ask because AFAIK no current Mac ships with antivirus software installed.

It sounds like the software you download had some type of adware as part of it. There are some software sites whch seem to be doing that quite a bit lately. Softronic has been accused of this behavior. There have been other sites as well. Give Adware Medic a try. It should take care of things.

Edit: I see Jake beat me to the punch again. Age old dilemma type faster or say less?

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
AdwareMedic

It worked! You guys are just the best. I'll be adding you to my Christmas list this year because of all the great help you've given me this year.

Can't thank you enough, but . . . thanks!

Best,
Rich:*

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad that worked out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.