Hating Yosemite

Reaction score
Have had trouble since downloading Yosemite with MacBook Pro being slow. Added 10.10.2 update, hoping that would help and it's worse. Now Safari and other applications freezing. Can anyone help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Mac specs? Year and model? And, most important... did you make a Time Machine backup before you updated to Yosemite?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Aong with the specs, whether you have a backup, add in how much used and free space on the drive.

Also, define "slow" and freezing for 5 seconds, 30s, 5 minutes?

OP
P
Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro 6,2, purchased in mid 2010, Processor 2.55, Memory 4 GB. Available: 420.12 GB; Capacity: 498.88 GB
Did not do a Time Machine backup. Have never done that. I am close to computer illiterate - sorry.
Don't know how to define slow other than it is much, much slower than before updating to 10.10.2. Takes forever to load an internet page.
When it freezes, I have to shut down by holding the power button down. That is the only thing I can do. Thanks for help. Please don't speak computer-eeze.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unless you don't mind losing all the data on your computer, you need to go to your local electronics store first thing tomorrow, purchase an external hard drive and make a backup.

How long does it take to boot the machine?

Are you having problems with only 1 or 2 web sites?
Have your tried resetting the router - unplug the power for 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

Is anything other than browsing the web slow? Launching other applications, moving around inside Finder, right click menus take a long time to come up?

How long is forever - as in actually time it with a watch - if it hits 5 minutes, stop the timing - don't do this if your only problem is browsing the web.

If the problems involve things other than browsing the web, you could try rebooting the machine by holding the command and R keys - go into Disk Utility - select your drive on the left side and run Repair Drive and Repair Permissions. Ignore any permissions not repaired. Report any messages that you get from the Repair Drive function.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Both Mavericks and Yosemite anre pretty hungry for memory and your model can take 8GB wich may see an improvement all round. Best suggestion was backup as recommnded and burn Yosemite to a USB thumb drive, and do a clean install and erase, and backup using Migration Assistant.

OP
P
Reaction score
OK. I made a backup on My Passport external HD. Ran "Verify Disk" on Disk Utility. "Repair Disk" was not available. Ran "Repair Permissions" and got a slew of things listed once it was done. Have no clue what all that means. Something else that may be important: Besides the big slowdown, I am not usually able to force quit due to total freeze, but when I can, I get "Safari Web Content not responding". In answer to timing of freeze: the freeze doesn't end. I have to shut down when it happens, which is multiple times per day. Most of the time with Safari, which is usually what I'm using. But has happened in Pages as well. Worse when both are open, so I wondered if it is memory related. Perhaps I should get more memory for machine. ??? Can I install the memory myself? Is it difficult? Thanks again for any help.

OP
P
Reaction score
Have not done a clean install as I have never done this before and need to figure out how first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
I have to agree with PaulaMac

I own a Macbook Pro (mid 2012) with 10GB of memory, and I often have the "Safari Web Content not responding" visible in Activity Monitor and Safari at times has a very very hard time loading (certain flash) videos on certain websites (vkmag.com for instance) when the beachball is popping up for no reason and blocking the video's for 10-12 seconds. My flash software is update as well as on OSX (Yosemite).

Due to Safari just stalling too often (at least 4-5 times a day) I switched to Chrome (imported all my stuff over) and it works flawlessly. No more delays, no beach balls.

Also the process ”Windowserver” was consuming up to 6GB (!) of memory and therefore also slowing my Mac down. I followed the advice on Prevent the WindowServer process from dragging Yosemite down | MacIssues and it is not consuming anymore that much memory (current status after 12 hours on: 102 MB

My suggestion to PaulaMac would be to also have a look at the link above, then restart your Mac and see if overall system performance has improved.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for comments and advice. I am working on it and will let you know if things get better. I did find Genieo and removed it. Not sure if that was the problem. Don't know what it does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.