Has Yosemite dropped support for Mini USB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4ghz i5, iPad 2 32gb
Hi I have a weird problem that has cropped up recently and I cannot figure out a solution.

I am trying to connect a number of devices to my mac with mini (the old larger) USB connections however none of them at all will work. Only mini USB devices are affected (for example my lightening cables connect and transfer info fine, micro usb devices also work like my kindle).

The DO provide power to the device when connected but no connection on a data level works. I am currently trying to connect a satnav to update it as well as a leapfrog tag pen.

This affects all USB ports and all connected devices with mini USB,

This Also happens on Windows computers.

I have tried 3 different mini usb cables, 2 different windows computers (win 7 and win 8) and this current Mac on Yosemite.

Can anyone suggest anything?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not double post or cross post. Your duplicate cross post has been removed. Only post to one forum please.....

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi apologies for that I put the first post into the wrong category and didnt know how to delete it.

Sorry again

C

chas_m

This affects all USB ports and all connected devices with mini USB,

This Also happens on Windows computers.

No idea what you mean by "mini USB" but if it's happening on both Apple and Windows machines, how exactly do you come to the conclusion that it is Yosemite's fault?!

I have a wide variety of USB stuff that uses all kinds of ends (so much for the USB "standard"). All of them (some going back to the 90s) work fine with Yosemite. And Windows. Which I suppose must be Apple's fault! :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi what I meant was it only started happening on my mac since i upgraded to Yosemite all of my devices were working fine on the previous OS X, and by mini usb I am talking about the end that connects to the device (for example the current PS Vita charger has a micro usb end to it, the iPhone has the lightening end to it, and some older devices had the mini usb connector on them, an example of which was the playstation 3 controller charging cable, that was mini usb).

Just seems weird that basically everything seems to of stopped working the day after I put in Yosemite?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Try resetting the SMC. There's a chance that could have somehow gotten corrupted.

C

chas_m

Hi what I meant was it only started happening on my mac since i upgraded to Yosemite all of my devices were working fine on the previous OS X

But you then went on to say that it wasn't working on your PCs either. Hopefully you can see how blaming that on Yosemite would be a bit confusing!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will give that a go and report back.

thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Both of the devices you list require special software provided by their company to set them up or update them. I assume you have install the software from the manufacturer? If not this could be why you are having problems.

Lisa

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both of the devices you list require special software provided by their company to set them up or update them. I assume you have install the software from the manufacturer? If not this could be why you are having problems.

Lisa

Hi Lisa yes absolutely I have the software in there, these devices had been working perfectly in their own software until very recently, I have tried 3 different USB cables to make sure it was not simply a cable issue, they all carry a charge, just not the data across for some reason.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Lisa beat me to it but I was going to ask if maybe the drivers need to be updated for Yosemite for those non working devices.

Since Yosemite is so new maybe there are no working drivers for it and your devices, thus they are not mounting.

Be sure the software you are using is compatible with Yosemite. Can you give model numbers of the non functioning items with their brand name?

Reaction score
Nope.

Try using a external USB Hub sounds like the computer has enough power to charge the device but not enough power to charge and send data use a powered usb hub this should work and remove this annoying issue

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nope? Really? Drivers work with any OS upgrade? Interesting as that is simply not true.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first item I am trying to use is a Leapfrog Tag Reader (its a kids electronic learning pen) which worked fine but no longer connects through USB. Interestingly my Mac said something along the lines of 'there is not enough power from the usb to use device' or something similar, unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to take a screen print of what it said.

The second item is a Garmin sat nav but its not here so I don't have the model number.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to be clear, you did not get that OSX message with the Leapfrog before upgrading to Yosemite correct? I am going to search and see if I can find a solution.

When you can get the model of the Gramin just in case.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to be clear, you did not get that OSX message with the Leapfrog before upgrading to Yosemite correct? I am going to search and see if I can find a solution.

When you can get the model of the Gramin just in case.

hi thats right I had never noticed this before, in all honesty though it had been a good six months since I had tried to update the pen, however other devices had been plugged in sooner and no longer work (like the Garmin).

I think the garmin might be called a neu.42 or something similar.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check this URL on their support and download what they suggest and report back. Just a shot in the dark but can't hurt to try!

leapfrog driver message on Mac

they say it supports 10.10 so it should work.

Reaction score
Honestly this is what i would do because i have had driver issues i use ktext helper to force install drivers mac os x doesn't like and honestly theres lots of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.