Has my SSD failed?

Reaction score
I think the dreaded has happened. I was working on Ableton on Monday night and all of a sudden the computer just froze. When I restarted I got the flashing folder icon and couldn't boot to drive. When I go through internet recovery, disk utility sees the drive but says it's unformatted etc. Pics attached. I've tried placing the SSD in an enclosure but 2 other laptops won't pick it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It looks like you are using an older version of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS. Can you please tell us more about your Mac and the OS?

It does look as though the drive isn't working. I remember the Samsung EVO had issues when running on older 2009-2012 Macs that were running current OS versions Lion-Mavericks.

Edit: I did just order a 1TB Crucial SSD from Amazon fo $89.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah It's a mid 2012 mbp running 10.15 I believe. It's not in great condition, power button doesn't work and turns on automatically when the charger is plugged in.

I've ordered a refurbished mid 2012 mbp that I can hopefully swap the hd in to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.