Has migration stalled?

Reaction score
I'm migrating data fm an old Mac 10.6.8 to a new MBP with Yoshimite. The new Mac is showing "Checking old Mac" and a black wheel is turning (not beach ball). The old Mac is showing "Looking for other computers". They are connected via Firewire with a Thunderbolt adaptor. This has been going on for about an hour but nothing else is happening. Should I abort and start again?
Thanks in advance.
M

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I went out to the shops for a couple of hours and when I got back things were the same. So I stopped the process and will have a think before starting again. At one point the new Mac displayed a number and said this should appear on the old one - but it didn't appear.
M

M

MacInWin

Well, I went out to the shops for a couple of hours and when I got back things were the same. So I stopped the process and will have a think before starting again. At one point the new Mac displayed a number and said this should appear on the old one - but it didn't appear.
M
That's the problem. So, yes, it was stalled. You can try again.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you.
Well, I started again, pressing the T as required. It told me that I had achieved a partial migration: I did not attempt to migrate my user folder because it said "this needs some attention". But it did not say what attention is needed.
When it had finished, I unmounted the yellow hard disk icon from the desktop of the new Mac. However, the large firewire symbol is rentlessly moving around the screen of the old Mac. Is there any way of removing this short of cutting the power, which I hesitate to do?
I'd appreciate comments on these two problems.
Thanks in advance.
M

OP
M
Reaction score
For the benefit of anyone else stuck with the above, this is what I did:
The "matters requiring attention" were resolved when I pressed on and went to migrate the user account. I was then asked a couple of questions and when these had been answered the matters were fixed.
The only way I could get the (target mode?) firewire symbol to disappear and the old Mac to get out of this cycle was by powering down. This seems a bit crude and I suppose there must be other ways but no harm seems to have been done.
M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.