Hardware test

Reaction score
I would like to do a hardware test on my iMac because the fan keeps coming on. The iMac only came with an install DVD of Snow Leopard. Will that disc have a hardware test on it? If not, what kind of disc should I buy to do a test? If I can use the DVD, what is the procedure to install the disc? Hold down certain keys etc? Thanks, Terri

21" iMac, Proc. 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mem. 2 GB, Running 10.6.8

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First thing…the iMac's fan is always running. What you are describing is…the fan rpm's have increased to the point that you're able to hear it/them.

As far as a hardware test. I don't really think such a application exists that the average home user has access to (probably only Apple has this sort of diagnostic tool).

Basically the iMac's fan will increase in rpm's when the internal temp of the iMac increases to the point that it needs additional cooling.

What exactly are you trying to test…and why? What's the issue?

- Nick

p.s. As far as the disk/disks you have. If they are gray-colored…it's usually a two disk set…and one of the disks does have a hardware test on it. They also need to be the EXACT disks that came with this computer when new…otherwise they won't work. But I'm not sure if the hardware test on this disk will test what you want. If you have a Snow Leopard disk with the picture of a Snow Leopard on it…this disk does not have a hardware test on it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would like to do a hardware test on my iMac because the fan keeps coming on.

Good advice from Nick but I thought I would also add that your iMac has three fans: CPU, Optical Drive, and Hard Drive. The fan you hear is likely the one for the CPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Apple Hardware Test only came with the iMac's original two set discs and is on disc 2 of that set. Maybe inside the iMac and the vents are a little clogged with dust. Try giving them a blow out using compressed air.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advise. The fan started going on and off at the same time the Mac started to have other issues....ie slow, spinning ball, browsers freezing, iphoto freezing, etc. I am using very little HD or memory, so I know I'm not burdening it. Even when I close all applications and let it sit idle with the display asleep, the fan will go on. The fan goes on sometimes immediately after I wake it and sometimes after 30 minutes of use. Stays on 5 minutes, other times an hour. I'm sure something is wrong. I posted this info in another post and was told to do a hardware test from my hardware test disc. I bought the Mac when it was 2 months old about 4 years ago, so it may have had other discs that I didn't get. I did an smc reset but that didn't take care of the problem. No dust but I lightly vacuumed the vents anyway. Because the fan goes on right away sometimes, I don't think it is a heat problem. I've been shutting it down instead of sleeping it at night because of it's issues, and just this morning Firefox froze as soon as I opened it. I did update Firefox when all this started and thought there may have been an issue with the update, but the fan and issues are still present when I log out and into an old "temp" account that doesn't even have Firefox. - Terri

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.