hard drive

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive with tons of data on it. Unfortunately my MacBook bit the dust. Is it possible to access this data with an ipad? Im looking at ipad mini 3.

Thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The short answer is NO! However if you store all of that information on iCloud then yes, it is possible. However you only get 5 Gb free so you may have to pay for extra storage, yearly. And you will need a computer to upload the info from your external HD to the Cloud in the first place.
An iPad is not a viable alternative to a computer, it is really just a glorified iPhone. From what you say it is unlikely that you will be able to get enough space on your iPad to store everything from your HD.
In short you are probably better off repairing your MBP if possible rather than spending money on an iPad.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Believe me I understand, but at least your data is saved, the problem is you need a computer to use/access it. Even if you could load it onto an iPad you still need to back the iPad up somehow. Assuming that your old MBP was at least 4 years old you are probably better off buying a new one. this site states Apple refreshes MacBook Pro with Retina display lineup, drops prices | ZDNet that The 13.3-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro with 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 still starts at $1,099. Given that's not much more than the repair price perhaps you should go that way.:D

C

chas_m

The old "iPad is just a glorified iPhone" canard was disproven years ago, but I agree that if you want that data back, your best bet is another computer. If you don't need portability, you might look at a Mac mini. If you do need portability, maybe a used or refurbished 2012 MacBook Pro would be a good choice?

If all you care about on the old drive is music, pictures, contacts and such, then possibly a cloud service would be right for you. I know IDrive offers to accept your existing HDR and they transfer it to their cloud service for you. But the way an iPad uses your data and the way a Mac does are quite different, so be sure that's what you want before you commit to that plan.

OP
T
Reaction score
I think my infatuation with MAC is fading. The price they quoted for a circuit board was nonsense. Several other gouging issues and Im thinking about cutting the cord. Do you know if win 8.1 plays well with iTunes ? Ive also been told there are devices that will allow you to load your MAC HD into and then use onboard soft ware transfesr the data to a PC.

Any experience with that ?

Also I saw your location. I live in Atlanta and do all my diving in the Carribean. My dive buddy has business in Indonesia and if he can swing it Im going to join him. how is the diving in that area ?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Believe me I understand, but at least your data is saved, the problem is you need a computer to use/access it. Even if you could load it onto an iPad you still need to back the iPad up somehow. Assuming that your old MBP was at least 4 years old you are probably better off buying a new one. this site states Apple refreshes MacBook Pro with Retina display lineup, drops prices | ZDNet that The 13.3-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro with 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 still starts at $1,099. Given that's not much more than the repair price perhaps you should go that way.:D

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I clicked clicked whatever incarnation of a like button in the right upper corner. Hope that help u

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
First off, iPad mini 2 and 3 are identical except for the fingerprint ID and the extra $100. The fact that you are considering it rather than a new computer tells me money may be an issue.

The use of the iPad depends on what you are doing with the data. If it's just music and pictures, the iPad should do OK.

The iPad IS ultimately just a bigger iPhone, but it's still a pretty powerful device.

ken

OP
T
Reaction score
I probably should have gone into more detail earlier. The full situation is that I need to replace my laptop. I cant afford a good system now but should be able to in the spring. My best laid plan was to buy an ipad for $400 now, use it as an interim device and then upgrade later. Ive been meaning to buy a tablet of some sort so if this is possible that would be great.

At this point Im not married to Mac. Currently everything I have is Mac but I am open to change.

What I would like right now is a tablet to run iTunes, browse the web, accept data from an external hard drive and word process. Maybe the occasional power point but would understand if it was slow. Being able to attach an external optical drive would also be nice. I believe MS 8.1 can achieve this. Is this correct ? If an ipad will do this job I would like that but I do not have the technical skill/patience to break Macs blocks. I understand the new Mac OS will only allow you to load data from a camera through a USB adapter. Is that correct ?

I have the intact hard drive from my previous MacBook. I would like to slave it to another system at some point but I back it up from time to time on the external so that can wait.

In the spring I plan to get a MacBook air or a Surface 3.

How much of my plan is reasonable and what should be altered ?

Thanks for the input of everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.