Hard drive slowly getting smaller!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
The available space on my 160GB drive on my new Macbook is slowly decreasing. 97.4 GB....97.36 GB.... 97.34 GB... every time I open the HD its a little smaller, but I am not doing anything. I emptied the trash and cleared firefox's cache, but that didn't do anything. 97.28 GB now... Please help before My hard drive disappears! 97.26 GB...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Have you installed the security updates? If not, it could also be due to general system behavior. When OS X is running it will keep updating logs, and cache (Kernal cache, System cache, etc.,), which will accumulate over time. I would suggest you to download Onyx and do a complete cleanup. You should also aware that the OS X is also using certain amount of hardware space for the virtual memory (5 to 10 GB). This is dynamically allocated and the amount depends on number of processes running at a given time. You can use Disk Inventory X to find out where all the space is gone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.