Hard Drive Help

Reaction score
Got 2 G4s.. a 1ghz and a 400mhz.

Both were plagued with bad hard drives. I have boot CDs for 10.5 and 9.2 and I cant get either machine to mount Mac formatted WD hard drives.. irregardless of where the jumpers on the drive are.

I formatted the drives on my Imac via a USB to IDe adapter thinking that since they were DOS formatted, maybe that was the issue.. nope.

On the 1ghz machine, the OSX disk utility doesnt see the hard drive at all.. same for the Profiler in 9.22.

On the 400mhz machine, it sees the drive in the profiler but wont mount it.. 10.5 wont boot.

I am sure its something obvious to the Mac faithful..

Help?

Reaction score
Try to boot from the install disc with the HD disconnected undo the ribbon. It should boot to the installer window. If it doesnt do that is some other issue than the Hard Drive. I have an old PC thats for reformating drives and never had a problem using one done that way in a Mac. In the installer window you pull down utility and reformat it in Mac Ex.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.