hard drive for macbook

Reaction score
what the difference between the two?

Seagate ST90160N1A3AS-RK 160GB 2.5" Internal Sata 8MB Cache Hard Drive

Seagate Momentus 7200.2 ST9200420AS 200GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the first is smaller, and probably slower - since it doesn't say 7200 spin, it is likely a 5400 spin. also, the larger cache should improve performance on the second HD.

are you trying to justify a higher cost on the second one?

if you do a lot of moves/modifies/etc of larger files or great numbers of files, the second will give you much better performance. if most of what you do is minor media playing, document reading/writing, internet browsing, etc the first should suit you just fine, if the cost difference is considerable.

OP
E
Reaction score
the first is smaller, and probably slower - since it doesn't say 7200 spin, it is likely a 5400 spin. also, the larger cache should improve performance on the second HD.

are you trying to justify a higher cost on the second one?

if you do a lot of moves/modifies/etc of larger files or great numbers of files, the second will give you much better performance. if most of what you do is minor media playing, document reading/writing, internet browsing, etc the first should suit you just fine, if the cost difference is considerable.

There's not much diff. with price.
I wanted to install Parallels. Does it make a difference if I have 200 gb rather than 80 gb when using parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
There's not much diff. with price.
I wanted to install Parallels. Does it make a difference if I have 200 gb rather than 80 gb when using parallels?

Not really when using it... Unless you need more disk space for it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why wouldn't you want more disk space in the first place?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.