Hands Free Timer

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
SWMBO would like to time one particular aspect of her workouts. The catch is that she would like start and stop the stopwatch/timer without having to use her hands. Siri might be a candidate for this but can't start and stop the stopwatch. The best it can do is open the stopwatch.

I could start and stop a countdown timer by voice and subtract the difference but that seems like a kludge and it's something she'd rather not do. Any suggestions?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Sly

On my iPhone, I can get Siri to start the timer and pause the timer.

The downside is that when you ask Siri to start the timer, you have to say for how long. If your good lady wanted to know how long she had been doing a particular workout, she could ask Siri to start the timer for a length of time much greater than she expected it to last.

For example, if she knew that her particular routine would last for, say, 5 minutes or thereabouts, she could ask Siri to start the timer for 10 minutes and ask Siri to pause the timer when she was done. The remaining time subtracted from 10 minutes would be the duration of that workout.

I can get Siri to start the stopwatch but all that does is bring up the stopwatch and you have to start and stop manually, so that's no good.

I doubt this helps you much, my friend, but it's the best I can come up with.

Ian

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I suggested that idea to her and for some reason it went over like a flaming dog turd on the front porch.:) Your experiment confirms my results. Thanks for the idea though. I wonder why Siri can't control the stopwatch?

I keep telling her what Siri can do and she keeps coming up with things it can't do. I'm convinced this is some kind of conspiracy to challenge my status as tech genius. If I tell her that some forum member has referred to me as a genius she informs me that after years of marriage she knows otherwise.:)

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Great reply:rofl

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.