half of disc not being used!

Reaction score
I know this has been posted before but none of the cures or symptoms seem the same as mine. I have a 2010 mini mac with a 160Gb disk the memory status is showing 9.46 free of 79.48 under Macintosh HD and 76.32Gb free of 79.9 under untitled How do I get Macintosh HD to use the whole 160Gb?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your hard drive is partitioned and needs to be made into one partition. However, before we can help, please read the link in my signature about writing a quality post. Provide the info referred to in that link and post back.

OP
tonysmm
Reaction score
Your hard drive is partitioned and needs to be made into one partition. However, before we can help, please read the link in my signature about writing a quality post. Provide the info referred to in that link and post back.

Thanks for the guidance; Since posting I have discovered that my 160Gb HD is partitioned, I went to System Preferences then Startup Disk to find Untitled with Windows underneath. I selected that and restarted to find that it would boot into WinXP and I could not get back to Mac OS. Found that out how to switch back by Googling on a windows PC. So you are right about the partitioning. I seem to remember trying out Wine a long time ago then wondering why it didn't work which it obviously did! I don't need WinXP on that second half of my hard drive so now need to remove it and return that half of the disk to Macintosh HD. I recently updated OS X to Yosemite as I wanted to install GoPro Studio which would not run on my old OS/x which I think was Snow Leopard. If you can point me to a link or advise how to un-install wine/WinXP on the untitled part of my drive that would be great Many Thanks. Tony

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't need to worry about uninstalling WINE. It doesn't do anything to your startup or partitioning scheme. I have WINE, Wine Bottler, and CrossOver installed along with Yosemite and it's not a problem.

Here's how to get rid of WinXP: Open the Boot Camp Assistant (Applications, Utilities, Boot Camp Assistant.app.) When it opens, go to create partition. Select remove partition. It will warn you about losing Windows and all your data. Select OK. If everything is working right that will restore your hard drive as one and get your space back. If that doesn't work for some reason, post back.

OP
tonysmm
Reaction score
You don't need to worry about uninstalling WINE. It doesn't do anything to your startup or partitioning scheme. I have WINE, Wine Bottler, and CrossOver installed along with Yosemite and it's not a problem.

Here's how to get rid of WinXP: Open the Boot Camp Assistant (Applications, Utilities, Boot Camp Assistant.app.) When it opens, go to create partition. Select remove partition. It will warn you about losing Windows and all your data. Select OK. If everything is working right that will restore your hard drive as one and get your space back. If that doesn't work for some reason, post back.
All done, many thanks I now have 90.58Gb free of 159.18Gb. I can now get my latest GoPro movies onto this HD. One last thing, can you recommend a file manager program. I use Total Commander on my windows 7 laptop would be good to use something like that. Thank you.

Reaction score
Click on the smiley face in the Dock. That's Finder. Pretty much all you need.
There are extras like TotalFinder and XtraFinder to add things. I use XtraFinder.
There's also Pathfinder, a Finder replacement. Some people swear by it.

OP
tonysmm
Reaction score
Click on the smiley face in the Dock. That's Finder. Pretty much all you need.
There are extras like TotalFinder and XtraFinder to add things. I use XtraFinder.
There's also Pathfinder, a Finder replacement. Some people swear by it.

thank you for your reply but as far as I can see that doesn't give me what I'm looking for. Total Commander does many many things including FTP. Thanks anyway.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Total Commander on my windows 7 laptop would be good to use something like that. Thank you.

Yeah, it's hard to duplicate programs like Total Commander or Nico's Commander in Windows. I used Nico's Commander for years because it was so much like the old Norton's Commander for DOS. (remember that?)

The closest you can come to Total Commander is "muCommander" a free open source program. Download from here. It also requires a Java install in order to run. If you don't already have Java installed, the program will automatically download a copy for you and install it. Nice program, I use it all the time along with PathFinder. (PathFinder is not free.)

OP
tonysmm
Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to duplicate programs like Total Commander or Nico's Commander in Windows. I used Nico's Commander for years because it was so much like the old Norton's Commander for DOS. (remember that?)

The closest you can come to Total Commander is "muCommander" a free open source program. Download from here. It also requires a Java install in order to run. If you don't already have Java installed, the program will automatically download a copy for you and install it. Nice program, I use it all the time along with PathFinder. (PathFinder is not free.)

Thanks for that I will give them a try, I don't use the Mac that much so I'm not completely savvy with it. But it has been brilliant for editing movies in the past so I'm hoping for my new GoPro movies it will be the same. The Total Commander function is required so that when I have edited my movies I can make changes, put them onto the web and easily move them to my NAS drive.
Many Thanks to everybody for assistance on this post.
Tony

Reaction score
Macs tend to be more "modular" than the "everything in one app" like Windows uses.
That's why you might need to use separate apps to do what you need.
File management - Finder
FTP - Cyberduck or Fetch
Etc.

However you might want to look at Filezilla. It can do more than just FTP.
https://filezilla-project.org/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.