• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Hahah Read This!! Really, Read It.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
OK ok...
So I gave ebay another chance and I bought another macbook off of ebay from an online pawn shop because it was a price I couldn't refuse. I was going to erase tiger and install leopard but there was a password that I couldn't crack. The previous owner had left her resume on here so I called her to ask her for the password and she told me the laptop was STOLEN from her. So after about 5 minutes of awkwardness, I offered to put all of her data on the external hard drive it was sold to me with and mail the hard drive back to her. She said she would call me back "to figure something out"......
Seriously, am I going to be out of luck AGAIN...I want to keep this laptop.:Shouting: It's in mint condition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
xj6jaguar1985,

Whoa, bad situation. Not sure where you stand legally on this or what responsibility eBay has for this kind of situation. If you have a lawyer you can talk to, I would check it out with him or her...

I hope it comes out good for you, sorry for your misfortune...

Noel

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
xj6jaguar1985,

Whoa, bad situation. Not sure where you stand legally on this or what responsibility eBay has for this kind of situation. If you have a lawyer you can talk to, I would check it out with him or her...

I hope it comes out good for you, sorry for your misfortune...

Noel

Yeah, I would definitely at the very least, get in contact with eBay. This is fraud at best, and you are now in receipt of stolen property (worse yet, you're now aware of it, which could make you more culpable).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You never know, she may have claimed on insurance already - but yoou have done the right thing and are acting responsably

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You never know, she may have claimed on insurance already - but yoou have done the right thing and are acting responsably
even if she has there are legal problems with possessing stolen property.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
True, it is called theft by receiving, and is also a felony above a certain dollar amount depending on what dollar level it is it your state (the dollar amount being what it was when she reported it stolen), and technically you could even go to jail! Tricky situation indeed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
Hope you can work this out and end up either neutral or better, in a more positive situation than before. Good luck sir :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You seriously need to contact a lawyer.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Nah I don't have to. Her story is full of holes and I'm keeping this laptop.
#1. I contacted the local police department and a police officer and she said the story sounded really sketchy.
#2. The girl's ex boyfriend who is the legal owner of the laptop since the laptop was given to the girl as a gift, said I could keep the laptop
#3. The girl told me she was going to file a police report tomorrow since she didn't report one because she thought "It was out on the streets so she'd never find it.".
....Yeah okay....Lol, it's my laptop.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, it is called theft by receiving, and is also a felony above a certain dollar amount depending on what dollar level it is it your state (the dollar amount being what it was when she reported it stolen), and technically you could even go to jail! Tricky situation indeed.

Ok, but I bought it on eBay. I am at no fault. Things like this happen daily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Ok, but I bought it on eBay. I am at no fault. Things like this happen daily.

Agreed. Not to mention that if the laptop passed through the hands of a pawn shop they are responsible for checking with the authorities and reporting the merchandise they receive. Hence why, at least in Florida, they have to hold the merchandise for a certain amount of time, AND get the full information of the person turning it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
You must be disappointed. I don't want to guide you on this one because it could go either way. I would get some legal advice from a lawyer.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. Not to mention that if the laptop passed through the hands of a pawn shop they are responsible for checking with the authorities and reporting the merchandise they receive. Hence why, at least in Florida, they have to hold the merchandise for a certain amount of time, AND get the full information of the person turning it in.

Hence why I wiped the laptop and installed leopard on it and cleaned it up. Man the thing looks brand new!

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UGH I have to return it. Uh I bought a "Single user edition" of leopard. Did I just waste it on this laptop?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UGH I have to return it. Uh I bought a "Single user edition" of leopard. Did I just waste it on this laptop?

Nope. It's not tied to the hardware as a system disc would be. Just format the hard drive.

What happened?

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A Virginia Beach cop just called me and said I'd have to return it and he would "Greatly appreciate it if I turned it in to the nearest sherrif's office." There's two options for me:
1. I return it to the pawn shop, let the cops know I'm returning it there where they can confiscate it so I can get the money back.
2. I turn it in to the authorities when I get a case number so I can get refunded.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A Virginia Beach cop just called me and said I'd have to return it and he would "Greatly appreciate it if I turned it in to the nearest sherrif's office." There's two options for me:
1. I return it to the pawn shop, let the cops know I'm returning it there where they can confiscate it so I can get the money back.
2. I turn it in to the authorities when I get a case number so I can get refunded.

That's a shame. I hope you're able to get every penny of your cash outlay back on that one. The pawn shop really should have been more meticulous about proving ownership.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah...I'm going to see what mac people on here have for laptops...But I think I'm going to get a refurbished one off of apple.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Man oh man, that's some BS!!! I'd make them give me a police report and verify it first. Never know, it could be this chicks boyfriend or some random dude telling you that he's a cop. You shouldn't be the one getting nix'd for this. The pawn shop / auction owner should be responsible for this merchandise.

I hope you can get this resolved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, core 2 duo 2.0 GHZ,1GB RAM,80 GB HDD
ouch dude that sucks , worst part is if you didn't contact her you could have used the leopard or tiger install disc to reset the password that is unless it was a firmware password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.