GTR 2 on iMac 20" -- Will it work?

Reaction score
Hello all. Newb here with a question. First let me say, I've been using Macs since my college days and I love them.

I'm looking to upgrade my current iMac to the new core duo 20". I'm not at all familiar with how the new systems work with Windows Apps so I was wondering if anyone had successfully installed and played the game GTR 2 on their Intel iMac. Below are the specs for the iMac and the recommended requirements for the GTR 2 game.

iMac 20-inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo
512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

GTR 2 Recommended Requirements:
DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card with 256MB memory and DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I had to look up what the game is you are asking about. It's a racing game right?
Anyways, that's the same model I have. I have the RAM maxed to 2GB though. I've run Need For Speed Carbon on it through Windows without a problem. I had the settings all at max or close to it and it worked well. It wasn't sluggish at all. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem running the game.
Bryan

OP
B
Reaction score
I had to look up what the game is you are asking about. It's a racing game right?
Anyways, that's the same model I have. I have the RAM maxed to 2GB though. I've run Need For Speed Carbon on it through Windows without a problem. I had the settings all at max or close to it and it worked well. It wasn't sluggish at all. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem running the game.
Bryan

Thanks Bryan. Yes, GTR 2 is a racing game, guess I should have mentioned that in my initial post.

Here's a clip for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwIzbSG4MrQ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It should be fine, as long as the min specs are for a 126Mb graphics card.

I have the RAM maxed to 2GB though. I've run Need For Speed Carbon on it through Windows without a problem.
You're doing better than me. On my PC, it was fine until it suddenly wouldn't open nine times out of ten. The screen goes black and then crashes to the desktop. Then I eventually got it to start and it said my save game was corrupt.
It's gone on ebay now. Apparently a lot of people are having the crashing to the desktop problem - it was rushed out for Christmas and is buggy.

OP
B
Reaction score
You're doing better than me. On my PC, it was fine until it suddenly wouldn't open nine times out of ten. The screen goes black and then crashes to the desktop. Then I eventually got it to start and it said my save game was corrupt.
It's gone on ebay now. Apparently a lot of people are having the crashing to the desktop problem - it was rushed out for Christmas and is buggy.

Uh oh, are you talking about the 2.0 Ghz or the 2.16 Ghz?

I'm already having sleep issues with my 17" G5 1.67 Ghz so I'd rather not deal with any issues on a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sorry, I mean on my PC, not Mac, at home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.