Grey screen on MBP

Reaction score
Recently my MBP went down with the grey screen of death. I've tried all the steps recommended in Apple's support document up until archive and install and archive and erase. Before I try the final two steps I was hoping someone could advise me about a back-up issue, and how to restore if a new hard drive is needed.

I have been backing-up to an external hard-drive (western digital my book 1TB) quite regularly. My last back-up was only a couple of weeks before the grey screen problem and since then I'd uploaded some photos and messed around on a project in imovie. I can access the hard drive in target mode and have transferred the photos to an imac ( as well as a couple of other files that had been changed) and wondered what my options were from this point.

If I end up having to install and erase, will it be simple to restore all my files from the last time machine back-up or do I need to clone my HD with Carbon Copy Cloner? I've read that I would need to format my external hard-drive and partition it before cloning the MBP hard-drive, which would erase all my old time machine back-ups since it is not partitioned.

I'm quite confused as to how to proceed best and would really appreciate some input from more technical minded people than myself.
Thanks in advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can't make a clone with CCC unless you can boot into the OS - which you say you can't - makes that a non option.

See:

If you are restoring a backup made by a Mac to the same Mac

at:

Mac 101: Time Machine

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for reply Bobtomay. I have the install disks for the MBP so would you suggest I go ahead and try the remaining options of a)install and archive; and then b)install and erase if (a) is not successful.

In the event a and b don't work i'm probably looking at a new hard drive i guess, to which i can still use time machine to install all files and user settings. Does this sound about right?

OP
D
Reaction score
I've tried all the available options, including archive and install and then erase and install, however, when I tried to erase got the following message:

'volume erase failed: could not unmount disk'

I have tried unmounting in disk utility to no avail. Does anybody have any suggestions or should I visit the apple store ( I have no protection plan)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.