Graphics performence.

M

mac_noobie

Hi, I just bought a powerbook G4 and when I did I read that it had good graphics capabilities. I am using the 12 inch model, however when I downloaded an unreal tournament demo to see what it could do, however it was quite glitchy. Should this happen or is it just because I only have 256 mb of ram?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I would say that the RAM is a factor, yes

OP
M

MoltenLava

256MB is not enough to run OS X on a Mac. In my experience Mac require about 50% more memory than PC when running similar applications.

Having said that, I don't know if your problem is entirely due to memory. The NVidia FX Go videocard that comes with 12" Powerbook is pretty slow.

OP
M

menace3054

MoltenLava said:
256MB is not enough to run OS X on a Mac. In my experience Mac require about 50% more memory than PC when running similar applications.

Having said that, I don't know if your problem is entirely due to memory. The NVidia FX Go videocard that comes with 12" Powerbook is pretty slow.

even when i had 768mb of ram, unreal tournament 2k4 still didnt run too great...

OP
C

Cloudane

Whoever said the G4 Powerbook had decent graphics capabilities was obviously thinking of the 15" or 17" model because the NVidia Go5200 in the 12" model is pants :)

OP
M

mac_noobie

Well if thats the case I can't see why they say under their ibook section that it can play unreal tournament... That is if it cannot be played on a powerbook (12 inch).

Thanks

OP
M

mac_noobie

ok thats cool, I wasn't even looking for a gaming computer at all, I just wanted to see what the computer could do.

OP
M

mac_noobie

I don't know yet... I was running the app off 68 mb of free memory and it was still running O.K. on minimal settings( i.e. 640x620 res.) I really dont konw what the exact res. was but it was around that . I think if I had 768 or 1.25 gb of ram it would run much faster at a bit better gameplay settings.

OP
S

snipehack

You will be able to play it if you upgrade your ram, but I would suggest going all the way up to a gig unless your going to get a better computer anytime soon. Another problem your going to have is that your graphics card is not quite optimal. If you have a 12" then the highest graphics card you can have 64 mb so the graphics might be a little sketchy.

OP
S

SexyHT

mac_noobie said:
Hi, I just bought a powerbook G4 and when I did I read that it had good graphics capabilities. I am using the 12 inch model, however when I downloaded an unreal tournament demo to see what it could do, however it was quite glitchy. Should this happen or is it just because I only have 256 mb of ram?

Thanks

Even if you upgrade to 1 gig of ram it would still be pretty choppy. Apples really arent even comparable to pc's these days when it comes to games and preformance. I would try games like um..... halo should run okay but no fantastic and sims is too choppy to run even on my 1.5ghz g4 128vram. Tropico is a good game.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.