Graphic Design.. MBP or Imac.

Reaction score
Hi guys.. Im stuck on a descision. Im going to study graphic design at college in September. And im wondering which would best suit my needs. I dont plan on taking the computer to college so portibility is sort of out of the equation, However im just wondering if the Imac's graphics card is much more superior than the MBP's card. I was thinking of going with the 2.66 Ghz Imac with the ATI Radeon 2600 PRO. Price wise the Imac is cheaper.. Has a better processer and more HD space. But im still unsure as there are to be MBP revisions soon.. whether this could up the processer speed? or have a better GFX card i dont know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
There have been rumors flying around which suggest a MBP may be introduced soon, but who know. I hope it's nothing major, since I just bought my 2 months ago! :) Turns out, there was a price cut only weeks after I'd purchased mine.

For me, I don't use my notebook in class either, but the extra space gained from a notebook as opposed to a desktop in my tiny little apartment is completely worth it (of course, an iMac solves this problem as well!).

I opted for the 200gb 7200rpm drive for my MBP, and I regret it. I should have gotten the larger drive, as I rarely do anything that requires fast hard disk access, but I do store a lot of crap, so the extra few gigs would have made a big difference! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iMac would be a better choice for your studies in graphic design being you are not planning on taking the computer to school. The brighter display, larger hard drive, and better graphics card is hard to beat. Also, Applecare for the iMac is less expensive than the MacBook Pro. ;D

Regards.

Reaction score
The graphics card in the MBP is better than the one in the iMac!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The graphics card in the MBP is better than the one in the iMac!!!!!

Also glossy screens are useless. Get the MBP.

Two nice sweeping statement with nothing to back them up.

Graphic design is more about screen real estate. I know I'd rather be working on a big screen instead of on a laptop.

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow im suprised that the MBP's GFX card is better than the Imac's one.. At what point will either of the computers start to struggle? Will they both be able to do some big move editing and GFX editing?

Reaction score
Graphic design is more about screen real estate. I know I'd rather be working on a big screen instead of on a laptop.

This is my experience as well. I love my MBPro and do a great deal of work on it, but when I am "working" I prefer the screen real estate provided by my MacPro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow im suprised that the MBP's GFX card is better than the Imac's one.. At what point will either of the computers start to struggle? Will they both be able to do some big move editing and GFX editing?

I assume he means better for games. They're not that dissimilar - you'll get more frames per second in some games with the GeForce and more in others on the Radeon.

Both cards can perform 2D work and video editing tasks in their sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
My suggestion would be the Macbook Pro 17-inch.

I feel that if you're doing graphic design, you wouldn't need such a hardcore graphic card. A normal standard one would do. Space? Well.. Macbook Pro goes up to 250gb. I'm sure that's more than enough. I love the iMac and all. But If you're asking me. I'd go for the MacBook Pro. Portability is also a huge advantage. I-myself like to have my artwork with me 24/7, I carry my macbook wherever I go, and I have to say. Its seriously way more convenient than depending on a desktop iMac.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'd say go for the MBP as well.

I always bring mine to class because the class is often time over crowded so I just bring my MBP to class and hook up in the back and work away.

Plus the Mac lab at my school sucks big time. I get more work done at home I have to admit >_>" 22" Wide screen display is like bliss and I'm getting a 26" one soon so then it will be dual display. ^-^

Reaction score
I assume he means better for games. They're not that dissimilar - you'll get more frames per second in some games with the GeForce and more in others on the Radeon.

Both cards can perform 2D work and video editing tasks in their sleep.

I was simply replying to the previous poster who stated that the graphics card in the iMac was superior to the MBP's (Yes there is little to choose between them but I didn't want the OP to think that the MBP had an inferior one.):)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I guess it comes down to portability. Do you need a laptop or desktop machine?

I have an imac, I use photoshop, illustrator and final cut pro on a daily basis and it suits me fine. Having a large screen helps too.

I sometime shave all of these apps running at the same time and get no slowdown like I would on a PC.

I do have to admit, I have no idea how a MBP would handle these apps running at the same time, but I bet that there isn't much in it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I guess it comes down to portability. Do you need a laptop or desktop machine?

I have an imac, I use photoshop, illustrator and final cut pro on a daily basis and it suits me fine. Having a large screen helps too.

I sometime shave all of these apps running at the same time and get no slowdown like I would on a PC.

I do have to admit, I have no idea how a MBP would handle these apps running at the same time, but I bet that there isn't much in it.

It runs smoothly when I multi task with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Dreamweaver open along with Firefox. I switch back and forth with the expose feature all the time with no lag. ^-^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I think you will regret not getting something portable. People in my class that had desktops had problems with fonts and files transferring from computer to computer.

Also the glossy screen is a problem. If you are doing print design you want what's on the screen to be as close as possible to what will print, glossy screens don't do that.

I have a 17" MacBook Pro and before that a 17" Powerbook, I have never regretted the decision. I also think once you get going in school you will bring the laptop to class more than you might think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the other hand, unless you're using a calibrated postscript device, what's on screen won't be what comes out of the printer anyway :)

The iMac screen is LUSH!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
On the other hand, unless you're using a calibrated postscript device, what's on screen won't be what comes out of the printer anyway :)

The iMac screen is LUSH!

Even not being calibrated you can get a matte screen to be almost exactly what will print out. I've never calibrated any of my machines, I use the correct color profiles and it is extremely close to what I print.

Go for the MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.