got trouble displaying chinese file name

Reaction score
You guys, I have to use chinese files (files with chinese file name and chinese content) for work reasons, after I downloads them from the internet or from email attachments, I got problem displaying them in Finder, file names turned to be weird which supposed to be chinese characters, my mac is 10.7.2 with english language, what should I do to have these chinese files shown correctly in Finder(please don't tell me to change my mac to chinese language, I want to keep it english), I remember there are some options about east-asia languages in win7, are there any in mac?
thanks in advanced.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't have to change your Mac's language to Chinese in order to be able to read Chinese characters correctly or to write in Chinese. Open System Preferences, go to Language & Text. Click on the "Import Sources" tab. Scroll on down and place a check in the box that corresponds to the variant of Chinese you wish to be able to read and write; ex: Simplified or Traditional.

Place a check in the box below that says: "Show input menu......." You can even display the character keyboard for Chinese at the top of your display.

We routinely do this but for the Korean language not Chinese, however, it works the same exact way.

Reaction score
I also facing the same problem!

the method you show i already done! but it not solve the problem! please help !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
the method you show i already done! but it not solve the problem! please help !

What problem? What are you trying to do? You've tagged on to an older post but we have no idea what your question is? Are you saying you can't display Chinese language characters?

Reaction score
Yes! Chinese character display problem when you download attachment from gmail using safari!
I was found that this problem shown in apple support website too, if I using Firefox to download the attachment in gmail, the file name show exactly in finder, therefore I should say the safari not work well or may be need do some setting in safari.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no trouble downloading Korean email both in Safari and Chrome and they display fine. Go back over your language settings to make sure that everything is correct. And... this is important, make sure you have the fonts that are needed to display Chinese characters. If you're missing fonts, you'll get gibberish instead.

Reaction score
I have no trouble downloading Korean email both in Safari and Chrome and they display fine. Go back over your language settings to make sure that everything is correct. And... this is important, make sure you have the fonts that are needed to display Chinese characters. If you're missing fonts, you'll get gibberish instead.

The problem is that sometimes, all Chinese or part of the Chinese Filenames are displayed as garbled characters. Other than that, I can display and write Chinese text w/o problems.
See attached Screenshot where one can see that parts of the Chinese are displayed correctly, and parts is garbled. Chinese Text in the message is ALWAYS displayed correctly.

Also, when I access the mail in my ONLINE INTERFACE (not MacOS Mail), then the Chinese is displayed perfectly - on the same computer.

I realized one other thing: When I forward this mail from my ONLINE Mailbox to myself, the filenames re all displayed correctly in my MacOS.

So it must be the encoding of the sender in China. But I cannot ask all Chinese people who send me e-mails to make modifications on their end...???

Green is the correctly displayed Chinese text, RED are the garbled parts...

JPC

Sans titre.png

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.