Got catfished …

Reaction score
Hi I’m new here.
I’m looking for some help to stop the annoying notifications from Chrome. ( See screenshot)

I went on a website to fill out an important form ( otherwise I would have just left it alone) The Website prompted me to download an update for what appear to be an update for adobe flash , as if I would’t be able to view the website without it, so I used Chrome instead of Safari just to see if I can avoid it.
Since this website is from a law firm, I did it anyway. The update may have really been an adobe update ( it was called player.dmg , see screenshot) , since the official installer of adobe ( flash player) opened
but it also Installed some promotion - pop up spam ware or plug in / extension, that makes Chrome send me these annoying notifications.

I can probably just block chrome notifications in the Notification Center, but I want to actually get rid of what ever prompts these face warnings, To download Virus software.
I tried to find it under extensions but didn’t find anything,

Thank for any advice in advance.

View attachment 31758

View attachment 31759

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

That's not Chrome doing the notifications, it's adware that you were duped into downloading. We suggest downloading the Detect X Swift application and running it to get rid of whatever adware that has infected your Mac:

Detect X Swift

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
those flash update notices look so real.. it's easy to get tricked by them.... this is why I chose to remove flash. I've never ran into a web site I use that needs it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

That's not Chrome doing the notifications, it's adware that you were duped into downloading. We suggest downloading the Detect X Swift application and running it to get rid of whatever adware that has infected your Mac:

Detect X Swift

Nice @chscag thanks ! I immediately downloaded the Detect X Swift and ran it. It didn’t detect anything unusual ( see screenshot ) but my Wondershare which is a youtube downloader that my have some ad features that I never really noticed. In the mean time, I went into the Crome privacy and security settings, and blocked everything with 2sectionlogistics.com in it which was listed in the program info of the unwanted adware. That surpassed the ads/notifications but of cause didn’t delete the actually software / adware.

View attachment 31763

OP
M
Reaction score
those flash update notices look so real.. it's easy to get tricked by them.... this is why I chose to remove flash. I've never ran into a web site I use that needs it.
yes, I might have to do that too

OP
M
Reaction score
@chscag Is there another software that locates adware ? Every time I open a new Safari Browser window or use my web address field ( which was set to google search ) it opens a website : “ www.searchsnow.com “ which is set nowhere as default website ! “ Detect X Swift “ didn’t find the software that is connected to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Try changing your default search engine to something other than Google. If it stays at the same bogus place, look in Safari/Preferences/Extensions to see if something got added to Safari.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have checked the Safari preferences and also the Library also after I ran 2 different virus softwares to find the names of the files that I’m specifically looking for. Since I didn’t find them.
I decited to just purchase the software ( they only let you identify the problems with the free versions but to delete it if you can’t find them manually you have to buy the pro versions… which is ok because they should some interesting data about where all my storage is used up and other junk.
I use CleanMyMac X and Comb Cleaner.
CleanMyMac X actually found another adware which was “MacOSDefener” which seams to be populare as well and the redirectory to the fake searchmachine searchnow . com which was set in my browsers was proberbly removed by etresoft.com which was free. Everything is running smooth now.. but I guess the times when you didn’t have to worry about viruses as a Mac owner are over !!...

Reaction score
yes, I might have to do that too

There is no reason why you have to do that; at least not yet. Flash will be sunsetted at the end of the year, but for now there may still be sites that you visit that require it. (Several popular news sites use it, for instance.)

This is all that you have to know to avoid trouble:

YOU SHOULD NEVER UPDATE FLASH FROM A POP-UP that appears on a Web site, or from a link on a non-Adobe Web site.

There are only two ways that you should EVER normally update Flash.
1) Via the Flash Player pane in System Preferences (under the Updates tab) on your Mac
or
2) Directly from Adobe:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If at any time you are wondering if you already have the latest version of Flash installed, you can check in the Flash preferences pane, or you can find out which version of Flash you currently have installed, and what the latest version is, here:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.