Got a new Macbook Pro!

Reaction score
hey guys!!

After stalling for awhile wondering if i shold get the macbook or not and if i should wait for santa rosa or nt. i jsut said forget and the current macbook is good enough for me so i bought it!!

its the 2.16ghz one!! but i do have a few questions

1.) I have an external mouse a Logitech MX518 and for some reason the back and forwad buttons on the mouse wont wake the pages in safari (not sure about firefox as i have not d/led i yet) go back or forward

2.) where can i d/l MSN for mac? i hear the normal msn for it is not very good what are others out there?

3.) lets say i have a few programs opened and i want to see all my windows at once what do i do to do that?

thats all i can think of for now im loving my new mackbok pro, and and u can see im pretty new to the mac ox!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Well..instead of trying d/ling MSN which isn't going anywhere for Mac anymore I believe..try Adium, it's a universal chat client (AIM, Yahoo, MSN etc, all in one).

and to view all your windows, if it's the same on Intel Macs..press F9

EDIT: Adium's URL is adiumx.com

OP
F
Reaction score
Well..instead of trying d/ling MSN which isn't going anywhere for Mac anymore I believe..try Adium, it's a universal chat client (AIM, Yahoo, MSN etc, all in one).

and to view all your windows, if it's the same on Intel Macs..press F9

EDIT: Adium's URL is adiumx.com

ahh ok thank you. I dont think its f9 because that button is used to shut off the keyboard backlight....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Your welcome. I love Adiums setup..or maybe I'm just used to it LOL

And congrats on the Macbook Pro, I'm jealous haha ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Ahh didn't even see the last part of that message. Hmm..then I'm not sure. never played around with a MBP..I woulda thought it would have been at least 1 of your F keys..try playing around with them a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
To view all apps at once (Expose'), go into system prefs and then go to expose prefs and set what hot corner/shortcut key you want it to be. By the way, press "fn" and then F9 for the F keys to act as standard function keys.

About the mouse, check for mac drivers on logitech's site. Just a word of warning though, I have a microsoft mouse with forward and back keys and they didn't work in safari or firefox.

As another poster said, Adium is an excellent choice. It is very customizable and multi-protocol which is great. There also is aMSN if you want to try something else: http://cmq.qc.ca/4w/amsn/

OP
F
Reaction score
To view all apps at once (Expose'), go into system prefs and then go to expose prefs and set what hot corner/shortcut key you want it to be. By the way, press "fn" and then F9 for the F keys to act as standard function keys.

About the mouse, check for mac drivers on logitech's site. Just a word of warning though, I have a microsoft mouse with forward and back keys and they didn't work in safari or firefox.

As another poster said, Adium is an excellent choice. It is very customizable and multi-protocol which is great. There also is aMSN if you want to try something else: http://cmq.qc.ca/4w/amsn/

ahh ok thank you. It was f9 but that ky was already in use by my keyboards backlight so i just changed it thank you. oh and what key is f13 because that is an optin as well?

and yes im using adium and i like it, i also like its icon ;)

Reaction score
I've always assumed F13 is the eject key. Also, in system preferences if you click on keyboard and mouse and then the keyboard tab you can change how you want your function keys to work. I was confused by the same issue when I first got my MBP. The default sets the F-keys to fuction for the hardware--i.e. brightness, sound, and keyboard back light. In the system prefrences mentioned above you can check a box that says "use the F1-F12 keys to control software features" then simply pressing F9 or whatever you choose will run expose. Then to operate your volume, brightness and keyboard back light you simply hold down the fn key while pressing the appropriate F-key. I hope this makes sense. good luck!

OP
F
Reaction score
I've always assumed F13 is the eject key. Also, in system preferences if you click on keyboard and mouse and then the keyboard tab you can change how you want your function keys to work. I was confused by the same issue when I first got my MBP. The default sets the F-keys to fuction for the hardware--i.e. brightness, sound, and keyboard back light. In the system prefrences mentioned above you can check a box that says "use the F1-F12 keys to control software features" then simply pressing F9 or whatever you choose will run expose. Then to operate your volume, brightness and keyboard back light you simply hold down the fn key while pressing the appropriate F-key. I hope this makes sense. good luck!

ahh yes i get it thanks i did that it helps!

also 1 more question ( i prop sound annoying sry)

when my screen saver comes on how do i put a password on it, so when i take it off scrensaver it asks for a password?

Reaction score
its under the security button in system prefrences..no worries you're not annoying i ask questions non stop on here!

OP
F
Reaction score
its under the security button in system prefrences..no worries you're not annoying i ask questions non stop on here!

ahh again thank you, and thanks everyone for all the help!!!. If i have anymore questins i'll let u guys know!

Reaction score
Nice purchase. I just bought one last week and I'm loving it. :D

OP
F
Reaction score
ok got another question

there are 3 battery options we;ll 4 if u count custom

is the only difference between the battery options when the computer/display goes to sleep or do u actually get better pefeocmace under the performance tab then u would under the better battery tab?

OP
F
Reaction score
i've got another question.

how do i burn .iso or .bins files etc to a dvd or cd??

and also how do i burn a dvd to my HDD and then burn it back to a black DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
just drag the iso or bin file into the left side pane in disk utility, then i think double click it.

should mount it, and just go from there

OP
F
Reaction score
i opened up Disk Utility and tried putting my .bin file on the left hand side and nothing, it does not work, any other ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.