Google leaving operating systems behind

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
I received an email regarding Google's choice to stop supporting certain browsers. As I understand it, my G4, running 10.2.8, and Firefox 2.0.0.20, will not have a supported browser.

Am I understanding this correctly? Do I have any reasonable choices? ....that would not require major, other, software upgrades?

Perhaps a different question; how would this move on their part affect me?

Thank you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Given how basic Google's site is, I'm thinking that the email was probably referring to other Google services, such as Docs or possibly Wave. Plus, it just doesn't make any sense that Google will stop supporting older computers, especially given how many older computers there are out there.

Also, I think the email is probably just a hoax or spam.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
Perhaps you should give this a read. This is a reasonable thing to accept - old technologies can not stay around forever. My advice would be to upgrade your Mac. What are the specs of your machine as it is right now?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
OS 10.2.8

Dual 1.25 GHz Power PC G4

512 MB RAM

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
You meet the requirements for Leopard assuming you have a DVD drive (although I would recommend that you put some more RAM in your machine) but that will cost you some money. If you do decide to purchase Leopard (not Snow Leopard as this is Intel only), make sure to get the retail disc and not the machine-specific grey disc. If you do upgrade, make sure to back up all of your data beforehand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" & Mini G4
Don't be afraid to upgrade your G4. I ran 10.4 on one of my old 1.5GHz Minis for years until a few weeks ago out of fear of having too big of an OS running on my old hardware.

I was pleasantly surprised after upgrading to Leopard not too long ago. The little Mini G4 runs pretty well, and it feels kind-of new with the later operating system.

Definitely upgrade the RAM. Not sure how much yours can take, but give it as much as possible. Leopard ate through the 1GB in my Mini!

Regarding Google's announcement - I have a couple domains hosted on Google Apps and I got the email from them too. As Kash noted, this only affects Docs Suite and Sites Editor. If you choose to stick it out with OS 10.2, it's not like Google searches and Gmail will stop working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.