Google alert message

Reaction score
Suspicious sign in attempt from Google saying someone has tried to hack my account... I've tried to research this and found something saying that it is a problem with Yosemite? has this been anyone else's experience

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Without knowing what this alert message looked like (or if it even actually came from Google). It could possibily have been a "fake alert" devised by some scoundrel to phish info from you.

- Nick

C

chas_m

I know Google knows all and sees all, but the chances of Google sending you a message saying that someone is trying to hack into your computer is nil. Sounds like a scareware pop-up. Take a screenshot if you see it again.

Reaction score
Sign into Google, scroll down to "Recent Activity". Check "Devices".
See anything abnormal?

OP
M
Reaction score
Sign into Google, scroll down to "Recent Activity". Check "Devices".
See anything abnormal?

I've checked the recent activity, it does show attempted sign in on my devices. I have access to family internet at their homes could it be when I'm there that the IP address changes and that triggers the alert? thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I know Google knows all and sees all, but the chances of Google sending you a message saying that someone is trying to hack into your computer is nil.
Google does warn you if you sign in (or attempt to) from a location that is really out of the norm for you. I've gotten warnings before when I try to log into to Google services while on vacation.

Reaction score
I've checked the recent activity, it does show attempted sign in on my devices. I have access to family internet at their homes could it be when I'm there that the IP address changes and that triggers the alert? thanks
That could very much be it. It used to do that when I would sign in at work. Hasn't done it in a while, I guess it learns if you don't flag it as abnormal.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have had the same issue when logging in using a VPN that makes me appear to be somewhere else other than my regular address ie different IP address.
I think gMail alert also advises you to change your password if concerned or if it was you to just ignore the alert. So if you are really concerned you could do that but your explanation of logging in at your parents is probably correct.
Better than my Outlook email account which actually locks me out until I use a recovery key and confirm that the activity was generated by me. Very annoying.
Rod

C

chas_m

Google does warn you if you sign in (or attempt to) from a location that is really out of the norm for you. I've gotten warnings before when I try to log into to Google services while on vacation.

Yes, that I was aware of. It was the OP's wording that Google was saying (quote) "Someone is trying to hack into your account" that made me think it was scareware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.