Goodbye keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Spilled a drink on the keyboard. It's now useless. Off to Best Buy to get another.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is the "positive" (if we are talking about a desktop computer)…with liquid spills Most of the time a liquid spill with a desktop computer mainly results in a damaged keyboard (sometimes not even a damaged keyboard depending on the spill amount).:)

The same spill with a laptop computer (most times) means a new computer!:(

BIG price-tag difference!;)

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better location.:)

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Was wondering if the keyboard can be repaired?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sort of depends on what it is or is not doing. I've had keyboards (from computers that I've purchased used)…that had "Wonky" keyboards due to liquid spills. Sticky evaporated liquid remainder causing the keys to malfunction…or not work.

Sometimes the key caps can be popped off…the sticky residue cleaned…and the keys returned to functionality. But if the damage is deeper…a repair may not be possible.

If we are talking about the newer Apple "thin/slim" desktop keyboards (wired or bluetooth). About the only thing you can do is pop off the key caps. If you try to disassemble the keyboard further…you end up with a mess (keyboard is glued together). If you're lucky enough to get it apart…usually you can't get it back together.:(

I'm sure someone on the internet had taken one apart…and managed to get it back together & working again. But I think most folks end up with a pile of junk.

- Nick

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick for your input.
The liquid I spilled was water.
Might not be worth my time/ effort.
:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since it was just water…try letting it dry out…and see what happens. Fingers crossed.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A new Apple aluminum wired keyboard sells for $49 at most stores that carry them. Not really worth the time and effort to repair it. I bought an extra one at my local Navy Exchange in Fort Worth for even less and no sales tax. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.