Good silent touch keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
Hi,

Can someone give me any recommendations on external silent touch keyboards?

I'd like one similar to the keyboard that comes on mac laptops.

I'd be using it instead of the keyboard on my macbook.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
C

chas_m

If you want one that is like the one that comes with Mac notebooks, then either the previous Bluetooth keyboard (as Nick notes, probably a tonne of them on eBay) or the new Magic Keyboard (better battery life, thinner, nicer key scissor mechanism IMO but some people will not like the shorter "travel"). Microsoft also makes some good Mac-oriented wireless keyboards, though I can't comment on how quiet they are as I've only seen them, not used them.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The apple aluminium wired alphanumeric keyboard is the one I use. It has two USB ports as well so I use one for the receiver for my wireless mouse leaving one USB port free on my MacBook Pro and one on the keyboard.
It has a lovely soft action but like most add on keyboards is not illuminated.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best Apple keyboards are made by Macally. Here's a link to their store.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to Walmart today to see what they got. They had a blackweb wireless touch keyboard with trackpad for $24. Online price is $12 so I ended up getting it for that price in the store.

keyboard.png

Works right out the box with my mac. Comes with 2 batteries. All keys work well including the touch pad. Soft keys and not really silent but it works fine for me.

Can't beat $12 for a nice, small wireless keyboard.

wireless-keyboard-k360-amr-grey-black-glamour-image-md.png

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well that certainly is a bargain but ts hard to imagine that it would be great quality. Still price is not always the best indicator. I have had some great components that were really cheap and worked much better than expected.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that certainly is a bargain but ts hard to imagine that it would be great quality. Still price is not always the best indicator. I have had some great components that were really cheap and worked much better than expected.

Its actually good quality. The key strokes have a nice feel to them. The only bad thing is the numbered keypad on the right are small. So if you have very big hands, this would not be a good keyboard for you.

C

chas_m

I could never use a Windows keyboard (barring an extreme emergency) on a Mac. Nothing against Windows per se, but that stupid Windows button ... It's just wrong.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Is the new Apple Wireless Magic Keyboard backward compatible? I thought I had read an article saying you needed El Capitan as your OS in order to use it?? If my recall is accurate, how would one go about replacing a wireless KB on an iMac running Mavericks, or Yosemite for that matter?

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the new Apple Wireless Magic Keyboard backward compatible? I thought I had read an article saying you needed El Capitan as your OS in order to use it?? If my recall is accurate, how would one go about replacing a wireless KB on an iMac running Mavericks, or Yosemite for that matter?

Ian

The OS shouldn't be a problem, I've seen those magic keyboard used on older versions. Nothing Magic about those keyboards IMO.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is the new Apple Wireless Magic Keyboard backward compatible? I thought I had read an article saying you needed El Capitan as your OS in order to use it??

From what I've heard (and according to Apple)…to use the new "Magic Keyboard"…the computer needs to be running OS 10.11 (El Capitan) or later (whenever something "later" is released).;)

Here's the Apple info on it:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLA22LL/A/magic-keyboard-us-english

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks Nick. I wasn't losing it. Well, I might be losing it, but my recall on this particular info was correct!

This is of some relevance to the OP because unless he/she is on El Capitan, the Magic KB is not for them.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.