Good Old Reformat and reinstall Leopard

Reaction score
Hi,

A while ago I decided to update from Tiger to Leopard but at the time didn't wipe my MacBook Pro and start from scratch, I just installed Leopard straight over the top, probably not the best thing to do as ever since my machine has been a bit glitchy.

It has now got to the point where it is just down right slow and annoying. It crashes every now and again and quite often the screen flashes in big white patches in some programs.

I'm thinking about doing the whole format and re-install thingy. I use Time machine and therefore everything is backed up but what I need to know is how much info would be restored if I were to format my machine, reinstall Leopard and then restore from Time machine.

I believe it is important to make sure that I name the computer exactly as it is now and then do the restore from Time Machine but I am worried about all the programs that I have installed and if I will have to reinstall all of those as well. There are quite a few programs that I don't have Disks for and would take a very long time to find again.

Will Time Machine restore everything back exactly as it was or will I have to do a lot of work to get it back to where it is now? I don't mind which it is I just need to know how much time to dedicate to doing it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You should be able to reinstall all applications, files, settings etc using Migration Assistant, which should put everything back where it was, so not too much effort but it can take a while if you have a lot of stuff!

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
You should be able to reinstall all applications, files, settings etc using Migration Assistant, which should put everything back where it was, so not too much effort but it can take a while if you have a lot of stuff!

There's that word should again.

Migration assistant wouldn't copy everything for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.