Good as web browser, so-so as a phone...

Reaction score
Hi I have been a new iPhone 3G user for about a week and I love it. Although I think as a phone it's only so-so mediocre but as a mobile web browser, it's really awesome. As a phone, there are 2 things that I find so far I am having problem with:
- Has anyone figured out how to forward a SMS message?
- Someone just called me and I would like to store his incoming number into my "Contacts". The new number shows up under "Phone"/"Recents". How can it be done without attempting to call that number? Try it and you will know what I mean....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
- Someone just called me and I would like to store his incoming number into my "Contacts". The new number shows up under "Phone"/"Recents". How can it be done without attempting to call that number? Try it and you will know what I mean....

There should be a little blue button on the right side of the contact. Tap that and a new window should come up. There should be a 'add contact' button then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
- Has anyone figured out how to forward a SMS message?

I know what you mean with this issue, I too find it annoying sometimes that you can't currently forward SMS messages.

Another gripe for me, although not a huge one is the inability to send/receive MMS messages, it's never been a big thing before but as luck would have it since owning an iPhone more people seem to be sending me MMS messages, despite me telling them that I cannot view them on the phone & that I have to go through the web, enter my phone number & pass code to view them - who wants to do that every time they get a MMS message?!

Finally, and I'm sure many will agree, the incompatibility with Hotmail working through the mail app. This however, I believe is no fault of Apple's specifically, I think its more a Microsoft's unwillingness to allow its millions of faithful users to access their mail via POP/IMAP (which lets face it, how awesome would that be?).

But apart from those few snags, I love my iPhone to bits! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another gripe for me, although not a huge one is the inability to send/receive MMS messages, it's never been a big thing before but as luck would have it since owning an iPhone more people seem to be sending me MMS messages, despite me telling them that I cannot view them on the phone & that I have to go through the web, enter my phone number & pass code to view them - who wants to do that every time they get a MMS message?!

E-Mail!

Have them send the MMS to your e-mail address that you have on the iPhone! Works perfect.

Reaction score
I know what you mean with this issue, I too find it annoying sometimes that you can't currently forward SMS messages.

Finally, and I'm sure many will agree, the incompatibility with Hotmail working through the mail app. This however, I believe is no fault of Apple's specifically, I think its more a Microsoft's unwillingness to allow its millions of faithful users to access their mail via POP/IMAP (which lets face it, how awesome would that be?).

But apart from those few snags, I love my iPhone to bits! ;D

I realize changing e-mail addresses is a pain but have you considering switching to gmail? Works great with the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
I realize changing e-mail addresses is a pain but have you considering switching to gmail? Works great with the iPhone.

I do have a gMail account (& several other different ones that all work fine on the iPhone, it's just my Hotmail account has always (since 2001) been my main account and for me to go through and change everything I have subscribed to that account would take far too long!

It's not that I can't e-mail from my iPhone, it's mainly the receiving of my Hotmail e-mails.

I can cope with it though as I'm never that far away from a computer.

Eric, good idea! I will tell everyone who MMS' me to send it to my gMail e-mail account! Does it cost them the same as it would to send it to a phone number do you know?

Regards,

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I do have a gMail account (& several other different ones that all work fine on the iPhone, it's just my Hotmail account has always (since 2001) been my main account and for me to go through and change everything I have subscribed to that account would take far too long!

It's not that I can't e-mail from my iPhone, it's mainly the receiving of my Hotmail e-mails.

I can cope with it though as I'm never that far away from a computer.

Eric, good idea! I will tell everyone who MMS' me to send it to my gMail e-mail account! Does it cost them the same as it would to send it to a phone number do you know?

Regards,

Chris

The cost depends on the data plan they're on and the size of the photo sent.... a 2mp picture comes in at 400-500kb.

If they're on an unlimited data plan the next hurdle is whether they have an email account setup on thier phone. Most UK carriers don't preconfigure email accounts on phones.

It's a workaround to use email but for a quick and easy way to send a quick pic to a friend etc MMS is much simpler.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

To be honest I am not sure. I guess it depends for everyone.

I have the ATT family bundle with unlimited messaging (picture messaging included). When my girlfriend sends me a e-mail from her Samsung it shows up as a MMS message on the phone bill.

mrplow said:
If they're on an unlimited data plan the next hurdle is whether they have an email account setup on thier phone. Most UK carriers don't preconfigure email accounts on phones.
My girlfriend does not have a e-mail address set up on her phone. She does have the default [email protected] e-mail address that every number has. That's what shows up from in the "From" field on my iPhone.

Not sure how you guys roll in the UK though. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.