Going Dark

Reaction score
Recently bought a used iPad 1 off Ebay, all of a sudden when I go to use it after I swipe the slider it goes to a black screen that only shows the wireless connection status, time and battery charge. Have to close let sit and reopen it several times before it turns on correctly. Is it operator error or a sign of something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Recently bought a used iPad 1 off Ebay, all of a sudden when I go to use it after I swipe the slider it goes to a black screen that only shows the wireless connection status, time and battery charge. Have to close let sit and reopen it several times before it turns on correctly. Is it operator error or a sign of something else?

Well, you bought a 2010 product off eBay likely w/ no warranty - iOS 8 was released today and the iPad 1 is not upgradeable - quoted below is a set of maneuvers usually recommended when an iPad misbehaves - I would suggest going to 'Reset' immediately to see if you get a normal opening screen?

If not successful, you might have to go into DFU (device firmware update) mode - check HERE, a link to an iPad Forums thread - also, suggest that you join the forum for more advice, as needed (I'm Giradman there) - Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
T
Reaction score
Comes the dawning.

Dave,

Hope this ties this together, I reset back to factory and started fresh and it seems to have worked.
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Just FYI, don't expect too many Apps to work with the iPad 1, even though it can take iOS 5.1.1, as a lot of Apps, (well the 30 that I just checked like FB, Twitter, Pinterest) require iOS6 or later. Good luck with the purchase

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Dave,

Hope this ties this together, I reset back to factory and started fresh and it seems to have worked.
Tom

Thanks Tom - always best to keep the conversation in the same thread - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.